Facility Operations and Maintenance Manager (NOC 0714)
Who We Are
Vale NL Ltd.
Vale is a pioneering mining company that works with passion to discover and transform resources into the ingredients essential to people's daily lives. We are the world's largest producer of nickel and iron ore, and a leading producer of copper, cobalt and precious metals. Headquartered in Brazil, Vale is a truly global company, operating on five continents.
In Canada, Vale's primary business is nickel. In Newfoundland and Labrador, we currently operate an open pit mine and concentrator at Voisey's Bay and a nickel processing plant at Long Harbour. These operations are part of Vale's Base Metals business and are supported by the corporate office in Toronto, Ontario and offices in Happy Valley-Goose Bay and St. John's,
Newfoundland and Labrador.
Vale is currently seeking an experienced leader to join their cutting edge team as
Facility Operation and Maintenance Manager (NOC 0714)
This permanent, full time position will be based at our Long Harbour, NL location, working a minimum of 40 hours per week.
As the Facility Operation and Maintenance Manager, you are responsible for leading the development of, and implementation plant-wide maintenance and asset management at the Long Harbour Processing Plant. The role focuses on continual development, execution and leadership of the Maintenance and Facilities department.
The Facility Operation and Maintenance Manager will assist the General Manager in the development of the strategic and tactical maintenance plans to improve overall business results. The Facility Operation and Maintenance Manager builds the Reliability and Maintenance department structure, team and work processes to ensure that the facility is well maintained and that asset integrity is improved to maximize facility and asset availability, reliability and utilization. The Facility Operation and Maintenance Manager researches and implements best practices in maintenance management and implements and champions the Asset Management Framework model.
- Support and implement the Safe Production model of risk and hazard management and implement Safety, Health, Environment Management Systems and evaluate/control effectiveness through trend analysis;
- Manage maintenance planning and scheduling teams and support the operating department in the development and execution of annual production and maintenance plans and in the mitigation of the impact of plant upsets;
- Manage cost within the maintenance department to meet the annual budget and prepare the annual maintenance budget and five-year plan;
- Ensure data collection systems are in place and lead problem solving initiatives through adaptive thinking;
- Lead a team of engineers, supervisors, and other top-level maintenance professionals in career development and succession planning to meet organizational requirements over the long term;
- Provide support and services for the effective care and utilization of assets, while increasing reliability and asset integrity;
- Implement and maintain the Meridium Asset Management System for the plant site;
- Jointly develop and maintain strong maintenance partnering relationships with all plant operating areas and suppliers;
- Work collaboratively with other managers and at the direction of the General Manager to maximize overall plant operating value, meeting production goals while maximizing asset value and integrity;
- Direct activities and priorities of the maintenance supervisory team in completing work tasks and strategy direction priorities in compliance to the Safe Production;
- Manage site transportation and cargo movement around the Long Harbour site and Port operational areas as well as shipping schedule to match the VNL Concentrator and LH Refinery production plans;
- Oversee the various service contracts, ensure service and support issues are dealt with quickly and effectively, and direct any relative change orders as necessary ;
- Ensure all applicable regulations relating to the maintenance department are met at all times;
- Ensure that safety and environmental standards are met and standard operating procedures are in place and followed.
- Post-Secondary education in a related discipline;
- Engineering degree or technology diploma preferred,
- Professional Engineer designation is considered an asset
- 11-15 years' managerial experience within a related field preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of relatable technical material, managerial systems and theories.
- Leads by example and demonstrate genuine care.
- A positive leader who inspires and develops team members to achieve consistent quality results.
- Identifies the impact and role of stakeholders and engages to earn support and respect.
- Values and builds strong working relationships with peers and team members.
- Exhibits strong independent leadership when necessary.
- Works collaboratively with peers and direct reports.
- Acts with integrity and respect.
- Fosters and encourages innovation.
Compensation & Benefits:
Vale offers competitive salary and benefits.
- Starting salary for this role is between $180,000- $190,000, plus bonuses.
- We offer comprehensive pension and benefit program, including core benefits, both flexible health and dental options along with optional insurances.
Long Harbour Operations offers a flexible work schedule, transportation to work from the St. John's vicinity, plus free parking.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Jenny Gulliver at (P)709.758.8859, (F)709.758.8820, (E) jenny.gulliver[at]vale.com (M) 2 nd floor, KMK Place, 18 Hebron Way, St. John's, NL A1A 0L9
Vale is an equal opportunity employer.
Work Location Address:
Vale Newfoundland & Labrador Limited
1 Nickel Road, PO Box 39
Long Harbour, NL A0B 2J0
Tel: (709) 758-8888 Fax: (709) 758-8820