Director of Construction
Halifax, Nova Scotia
AM - 17403
Meridia Recruitment Solutions has partnered with Anchor Living to recruit a Director of Construction to join their team in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
For the past 25 years, our client has been providing community-focused living spaces for mature adults in the Halifax region. Coupling the benefits of urban green spaces with the benefits of being in close proximity to the city center, Anchor Living seeks to provide their residents with beautiful and secure places to live. Our client's portfolio currently consists of 6 buildings in total - spread across two locations, Fleming Park Estates and Regatta Point. Each building has its own unique layout and character, and features units of all different sizes, needs and price points.
Led by prominent Halifax real estate developer Danny Chedrawe, President of both Westwood Developments and Anchor Living, our client is in the planning stages for a number of large, exciting and unique projects to add to their portfolio. As such, they are seeking a Director of Construction to lead and manage all stages of upcoming projects.
As the Director of Construction, you will be responsible for overseeing and leading all major stages of a variety of projects. Including, the restoration of the former St. John the Baptist Church on Purcells Cove Road, a striking community church built in 1929, which has the original douglas-fir trusses and being of a Spanish-Moorish architecture, that has recently been designated as a Heritage Property. In this role, you will participate in the planning and design process all the way through to the day-to-day management of the construction site, directing on-site activities. Your project management experience will be utilized to plan, manage and respect project budgets, costs and associated purchasing and your expertise in risk management will ensure any associated project risk is minimized. Lastly, you will mentor and develop the project team working with you, sharing industry best practices at every project stage.
By joining Anchor Living, you'll be part of a proud local organization who has been enriching Atlantic Canadian communities one project at a time. As the Director of Construction, you will work on a variety of interesting and innovative projects, and more importantly you'll work on projects that will impact the community beyond what is built. Anchor Living offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, and an environment that promotes personal and professional development.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Support overall contract administration on a variety of construction projects ensuring the project is constructed as per design, budget, resources, quality, and schedule;
- Develop and implement the project safety plan and lead by example for health and safety practices and procedures;
- Assist with the negotiation and issue of subcontracts, major purchase orders and progress payments;
- Drive the construction schedule in conjunction with the project team ensuring that site activities, completion dates and milestones are met;
- Assist with the forecasting and ordering of material requirements, collaborating with appropriate stakeholders to ensure that materials meet quality standards, coupled with coordinating distribution to the appropriate teams on site;
- Provide people leadership and mentorship through establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with project/site staff and subcontractors in order to promote positive morale;
- Oversee project closeout.
As the ideal candidate, you have demonstrated success in overseeing large scale multi-unit residential, institutional or commercial construction projects from concept to completion. You are an organized and driven leader who is comfortable jumping in to help wherever and whenever needed, while still taking the time to develop and mentor the team working with you.
- 15+ years' of demonstrated, progressive experience as a Project or Construction Manager in multi-unit residential, commercial or institutional construction;
- Experience with a variety of concrete construction methods;
- Sound knowledge of multi-unit construction and building techniques and ability to read and interpret contract drawings and specifications;
- Demonstrated experience promoting safety standards, policies, procedures, acts and regulations while ensuring they are being followed by everyone on site;
- Effective supervision, team coordination and scheduling of construction activities to ensure consistent completion of projects on-time and on budget;
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate constructability issues in complex situations, proactively identifying solutions to avoid project delays;
- Ability to lead and run effective site meetings with clients, consultants, trades, and internal employees.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking "Apply Now" below.
For more information contact Austin McLennan, Senior Consultant, at 902-424-1103 and [email protected] or Kyle Armstrong, Recruitment Specialist at 709-383-1328 and [email protected], or please apply online by clicking the "Apply Now" button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Austin or Kyle know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.