Join Vale today. Continuously learn throughout your career.
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Sudbury Operations have been in existence for more than 100 years. With five mines, a mill, a smelter, a refinery and nearly 4,000 employees it is also one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world. Sudbury is also home to several administrative sites serving both the Ontario Operations as well as all our North Atlantic Operations. Port Colborne is home to our Nickel Refinery where raw materials from our Sudbury operations are processed into electrocobalt and precious metals and serves as a distribution centre for finished nickel products.
The Heavy Duty Equipment Technician is integral for employee safety and Vale's long-term operating strategy. Members of this team work across different locations to ensure all mine equipment are functioning accurately. Team members are also involved in the development of long-term and short-term maintenance initiatives, practices and procedures.
We are currently seeking Heavy Duty Equipment Technicians to join our Maintenance Department in Sudbury, Ontario.
If you are interested in working at our underground mines in the Greater Sudbury area, read on!
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Heavy Duty Equipment Technician is responsible for repairing, troubleshooting, adjusting, overhauling, servicing and maintaining underground mobile mining equipment.
In this position, you will:
- To inspect, diagnose, adjust, dismantle, repair, assemble, replace and test internal combustion, electric and pneumatic powered mobile equipment and other pneumatic, hydraulic and electric/hydraulic production equipment and related systems.
- To perform metal welding, excluding pressure welding.
- Align with work safety policies and safety regulations.
Fully Licensed Tradesperson:
- Trade Certification : An inter-Provincial Red Seal (Certificate of Qualification) as a Heavy Duty Equipment Technician. Candidates who have an inter-Provincial Red Seal (Certificate of Qualification) as a Truck and Coach or Automotive Technician may also be considered.
- Experience: 4 or more years of industrial experience is preferred.
- 24 VDC wiring/control systems is preferred
- Air and liquid cooled, DPU controlled diesel engines is preferred
- Differentials and torque converters is preferred
- Complex electrical and radio remote control systems is preferred
- Maintenance of hydraulic systems on mobile equipment is preferred
- Braking systems on large mobile equipment is preferred
- Maintenance and power transmission systems on large diesel equipment is preferred
- Education : Heavy Duty Equipment Technician college diploma is preferred. Candidates with a Truck and Coach or Automotive Technician college diploma may also be considered.
- Experience : 6 months or more of industrial experience is preferred.
How can Vale grow your career?
The Heavy Duty Equipment Technician, is a maintenance position that will allow the right candidate to shape our mining operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive Salary, Pension and Benefits
- Desirable Incentive Program
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Online training and career development opportunities
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and Vale values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across its operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application online at www.valejobs.ca or by clicking Apply. Please attach a copy of your Trade Red Seal Certificate (if applicable).
We appreciate your interest in being a part of the team though only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.