Continuing Care Assistants- Casual
Responsible To: Director of Resident Care
Hours of Work: Shift Work - may be required to work weekends, holidays, 8 and 12 hour shifts
Must have or be working toward Continuing Care Assistant certification
- Good general health which allows for the ability to attend work on a regular basis and meet the physical demands of the position
- Good personal hygiene
- Personal police record check clearance and negative Vulnerable Sector Check
Is responsible to provide individualized care to each resident ensuring physical, social and emotional needs are met. Nursing services are provided in keeping with the mission, vision, and values of the Home within an environment of safe practice, respect for dignity and resident focused care.
- Accepts responsibility for decisions made and for achieving the expectations of the CCA/PCW role in the organization.
- Communicates effectively with residents, coworkers, managers, families and volunteers.
- Displays attitudes in work performance that are in keeping with the mission statement and are resident focused.
- Works cooperatively and respectfully with others to further the values and mission of the organization.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement by seeking ways to improve resident care and service delivery.
- Demonstrates ability to adapt to change by taking responsibility for self learning, receptive to new ideas and willingness to try new methods and approaches.
- Demonstrates respect and caring by accepting others values and opinions, displaying compassion and empathy, protecting the integrity and confidentiality of others.
- Promote and maintain the safety of residents, staff and visitors as a as a strategic priority for the Home at all times
- Actively participated in a multidisciplinary approach to resident focused care
- Ensure the resident's care needs are met. This includes but is not limited to personal care, nourishment, toileting, mobility, safety and socialization
- Ensure the policies of the home are followed in the delivery of care.
- Ensure a clean, comfortable, safe and secure environment for residents and co-workers
- Assist the RN/LPN with the admission, transfer and discharge process
- Report all changes in resident health status to RN/LPN and directs all inquiries regarding care to RN/LPN
- Complete documentation in accordance with the Home's policies
- Adherence to food safety standards in the preparation of snacks and drinks
- Practice standard precautions and adheres to infection control procedures
- Follows Infection Control procedures regarding the proper cleaning of equipment between resident use.
- Knowledgeable on WHMIS, Fire/Emergency Plan and use of fire equipment
- Reports and removes from service any unsafe /faulty equipment
- Ensure that the call buzzers function and respond to any calls during the shift.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of residents according to policy.
- Utilize good body mechanics when providing care
- Seeks/participates in ongoing educational opportunities
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to cope with change and work demands
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with residents, family, staff and other health professionals
- Organized and able to set priorities in a constantly changing work environment
- Knowledgeable of and implements the values and mission of the home in the delivery of care
- Knowledgeable of departmental policies and procedures
- Practices and promotes occupational health and safety
- Knowledgeable of Protection of Persons in Care legislation
Continuing Education Responsibilities:
- Attends in-services, educational and training sessions for self development
- Attends compulsory CPR, fire safety and WHMIS training as required
- Attends and participates in departmental staff meetings
Only serious applicants need apply
Applicants who do not meet the minimum educational requirements will not be considered
Resume/Cover Letter must be received not later than August 7th, 2020 @ noon
If you feel you meet the qualifications for this position, please send your resume to
Director of Care
RC MacGillivray Guest Home
25 Xavier Drive
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Fax: (902) 567-0437 or
Only those accepted for an interview will be contacted. Offer of employment is conditional upon completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.