Senior Group Underwriter
For over 75 years, Medavie Blue Cross has been a leading health and wellness partner for individuals, employers and governments across Canada. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization dedicated to giving back to the communities where we live and work, and to ensuring our employees thrive in our award-winning, collaborative culture. We are one of Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures and are recognized as a Caring Company, a designation for national leaders in community investment and social responsibility.
Our team of 2,100 professionals work across six provinces. We excel by living our shared values of being caring, accountable, responsible, innovative and community-minded. We're committed to ensuring the health and wellness of our employees and their families, along with personal and professional growth, through a variety of programs and support at all levels of our organization .
Along with Medavie Health Services, we are part of Medavie - a national health organization with over 6,400 employees. Together, our mission is to improve the wellbeing of Canadians.
Job Title: Senior Group Underwriter Department: Group Underwriting Competition: 5462 Internal/External: Internal/External Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent Location: Montréal Salary: Competitive Compensation Reports To: Manager, Group Underwriting Closing Date: October 31, 2019
In this position, you will work with the Group Underwriting team to ensure Medavie Blue Cross achieves its financial targets on the group health, life and disability income lines of business.
- Establishment of renewal pricing which includes analysis of experience/trend to justify the reasons behind the renewal and to recommend pricing alternates. This also encompasses responding to client inquiries relating to pricing and experience.;
- Establishment of rates for new group business and respond to financial questions within the specifications;
- Prepare financial statements for ASO and Retention groups in accordance with financial agreements;
- Draft and update financial agreements;
- Ensuring underwriting targets are met for growth and profitability;
- Development and ongoing maintenance of direct relationships with clients and producers; and
- Continuous dealings with internal sales staff and other internal customers (ie: Case Management, Group Admin), the agent/broker/consultant network and policyholders.
Education : Post-secondary education in the field of business administration, mathematics, actuarial science, statistics or computer science.
Work Experience : 10 years minimum Group Underwriting experience.
Other Qualifications :
- Enjoy working in a team-based environment;
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal;
- Self-directed with high levels of personal accountability and responsibility;
- Excellent reasoning, judgment and decision-making abilities;
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail;
- Excellent Time-management skills and ability to work in a fast paced environment involving multiple tasks and priorities; and
- Strong negotiation skills.
Computer Skills : Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite specifically Excel and Word.
Language Skills : Bilingualism, French and English, is an asset but not a requirement.
Analytical Thinking: excellent reasoning, judgment and decision-making abilities; strong analytical skills with high attention to detail.
Execution and Organizational Skills : Time-management skills with experience working in a fast paced environment involving multiple tasks and priorities.
Team Work Skills : Good negotiation skills and enjoy working in a team-based environment.
f you are interested in working with a team of professionals in a challenging role and you possess the necessary qualifications, please follow the instructions for applying online via the Medavie Blue Cross Corporate website.
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Segment: Underwriter, Computer Science, Actuarial, Accounting, Insurance, Technology, Finance