North Queens Nursing Home is looking for Registered Nurse for
Part Time/Casual positions
Registered Nurse job summary: Under the direction of the Director of Care, the RN is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the nursing department. The RN actively participates in the nursing process by assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the specific needs of the resident as individuals, ensuring current gerontological practice
- Must be a graduate of an accredited nursing program (BScN an asset).
- Must be currently registered with the CRNNS.
- Must have current first aid and CPR certification.
- Previous nursing experience is an asset
- Must demonstrate interest and ability in leadership role, evaluating daily care, coaching, and assisting staff with care activities and coordinating plans of care.
- Must demonstrate effective communication skills, both oral and written and computer literacy
- Display excellent physical assessment skills and decision-making ability.
- 8 and 12 hour shifts as per NSNU contract
- Employees supervised - CCA's, LPN's
- Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the plan of care as determined by the residents need. Updates plan of care in Mede-care system on a weekly basis.
- Completes quarterly MDS quality assessments for assigned residents and documents electronically in Mede-care program.
- Assesses and responds accordingly to any change noted in resident's condition requiring further nursing/medical intervention such as falls, chest pain, shortness of breath, UTI, etc. Performs appropriate assessments (urine chemstrip, capillary blood glucose, vital signs, auscultation, etc as indicated).
- Administers prescribed medication and processes/transcribes physician orders by faxing to pharmacy and ensuring that they are entered in Mede-care system.
- Performs treatments and protocols prescribed by the physicians and allied health Professionals. Monitors treatment plan, alerting primary care provider if change in treatment is recommended and amending written treatment plan accordingly
- Reports to resident's physician any medical problems requiring attention.
- Communicates with family members, advising them of resident's general condition and changes.
- Reports to the Director of Care any acute change of resident condition and/or unusual incident. Reviews and signs incident reports.
- Assists the DOC in supervising the LPN's, and CCA's in relation to resident care, assists when necessary and acts as a resource person.
- Provides a verbal/taped report for the next shift.
- Manages nurses' station by filing lab requisitions and ensuring that diagnostic tests are completed, filling sick time according to union contract, organizing nursing resource tools
- Organizes and participates in physician rounds.
- Communicates with other members of the care team in meeting the holistic needs of the resident, ie. Dietary and Environmental.
- Maintains competency in nursing skills used at the home and seeks additional education if needed.
- Orientate new Registered Nurse employees to facility policy, procedure and philosophy. Act as a mentor/ support person for new nursing staff.
- Demonstrates an active interest in continuing education and professional development by attendance at in-services/workshops.
- Understands and demonstrates leadership in fire/safety and emergency procedures.
- Participates in committee work and demonstrates active interest in specific components of care (care team, back support, palliative care).
- Attends nursing staff meetings on a regular basis.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Sarah Maclachlan, Director of Care
North Queens Nursing Home, (902) 682 2553 Ext 236,[email protected]