Halifax, NS, Canada Req #1207
Tuesday, April 27, 2021
As one of Canada's Best Managed Companies, Eastlink takes great pride in delivering advanced technologies/services that connect its customers to the things and people that matter most. Powered by state-of-the-art fibre optic and mobile networks, we bring world-class communications and video entertainment services including high speed internet, mobile, TV, telephone, security and automation, data communications and exclusive, locally-produced programming to residential, business and public sector customers across Canada. Headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Eastlink operates with an employee base of over 1300 people who serve customers in NS, PEI, NL, NB, ON, AB, BC and Bermuda.
The Database Administrator is responsible for the overall technical management of Eastlink's database systems, and support of the associated applications. This position focuses primarily on design, installation, tuning and monitoring of Oracle RAC, Physical Standby, and Oracle Restart environments. Supported Oracle versions include 19c, 12c and 11g. Supported MS SQL Server versions 2012 through 2019. Versions of PostgreSQL and MariaDB are also supported.
- Design, install, configure, implement, tune, monitor and maintain DBMS (database management systems) and associated utilities and management tools
- Responsible for management of databases including production, test and lab environments.
- Create and implement DBMS maintenance procedures (Datapump, Partition Maintenance, ASM Maintenance, RMAN Backup and Recovery)
- Write, test and debug Oracle SQL queries and recommend improvements for DBMS
- Test and apply patches and upgrades to Oracle DBMS following change control procedures
- Manage user access to databases through user account and profile management
- Develop and ensure adherence to DBMS change control procedures
- Utilize management tools to monitor the performance of the DBMS and critical businesses applications residing on them to ensure performance is optimizd and problems are identified and resolved quickly.
- Develop and ensure adherence to policies, procedures, and established best practices related to database deployment, account management, and security
- Make recommendations and lead planning exercises on the implementation of new technologies, infrastructure refreshes and upgrades ensuring minimal impact to users and maximum benefit from capital expenditures
- Be a Point of Contact for technical questions related to DBMS
As the ideal candidate you will be highly focused on customer service and satisfaction and excel in developing and maintaining strong client relations. You thrive in a fast-paced work environment, and are experienced in balancing multiple deadlines while delivering several projects simultaneously. You possess superb written and verbal communication skills and are experienced in producing audience appropriate communication for both technical and non-technical stakeholders. A natural team player, you enjoy collaborative troubleshooting/resolution of complex multi-disciplinary technical problems.
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent Minimum five (5) years' experience
- Experience installing and administering Oracle RAC, Data Guard (Physical Standby), and Oracle Restart
- Diagnostic and troubleshooting experience using industry standard tools and techniques
- Experience monitoring and tuning databases to optimize the product to perform to expectations.
- Good knowledge of ASM, Partitioning, SQL queries, SQL Tools, Performance Tuning, Data Guard
- Experience with MS SQL Server is a plus - willingness to learn MS SQL Server is a must
Why Choose Eastlink?
Eastlink operates in a culture of continuous improvement through listening, learning and adapting, which enables us to respond quickly to the evolving needs of both employees and customers. We recognize that our truly greatest competitive edge is our people and that delivering a great customer experience begins with a great employee experience. Our philosophy of developing and training our team "on the ground" not only helps to create a strong onboarding experience but also readies employees for future growth opportunities within the organization.
Dedicated to reflecting the customers and communities we serve, we embrace diversity and inclusion throughout all levels of the organization and encourage members of equity groups to self-identify during the application process.
If you are ready to explore an exciting career at Eastlink, your journey begins here.
- Pay Type Salary