Requisition ID: 189372
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Purpose of Job:
As a member of the Operations and Corporate Services team supporting Reconciliation, and working in close partnership with the Domestic Branches, internal partners and various external vendors, the Accounting Officer (AO) provides specialized reconciliation services in a customer focused centralized Centre of Expertise environment. The AO is responsible reconciling, balancing, investigating exceptions and processing adjustments to customer accounts and the Bank's GL asset and liability accounts in accordance with approved procedures. The AO also provides day to day operational assistance and guidance to team members as it relates to reconciliation activities.
Is this role right for you? In this role you will:
- Delivers an Exceptional Customer Experience by providing the best-in-class customer service through the timely and accurate handling of all inbound inquiries received via multiple channels (e.g.: fax incoming mail, fax or other electronic methods) within established Service Level Agreements and Service quality standards. This includes providing training to team members to ensure seamless service delivery.
- Ensures that the daily work volumes within the assigned reconciliation area are organized and distributed amongst the team resources and that service and quality levels are maintained. This involves daily verification and approval of team member processing where required as well as recommending and assisting with reallocation of resources in areas requiring additional support due to unplanned activities (volumes etc.).
- Ensures and reports on trending or risk related issues within the transits serviced and initiates and contributes recommendations to address root cause with a view to driving increased efficiency balanced with reduced operational risk within the team.
- Ensures the accurate and timely completion of daily customer exception reporting through investigation, validation and correction processing. Escalating unusual items in a timely manner based on exception type to the Manager/Assistant Manager, with appropriate recommendations where required.
- Balances and reconciles on behalf of domestic branches, multiple business and product owners, and third party vendors (e.g.: ABM service providers, Symcor) all related suspense accounts, monthly balancing and financial returns including taking appropriate action for corrections or adjustments.
- Validates, maintains and reports where required on daily, monthly, quarterly, annual and periodic basis, activities related to GL balances, ABM Centralized deposit/Investigation and AFT. Updates Customer Information System based on information received from customers, branches, business partners, and other units across Canada while maintaining the confidentiality of customer information at all times.
- As the subject matter expert (SME) in Reconciliation, actively participates in consultations with partners for technology enhancements and takes initiative in identifying process enhancements that drive increased efficiencies within the unit.
- Participates in meeting the Bank's regulatory and financial reporting requirements
- Follows all Bank policies and procedures and codes of conduct. Ensuring knowledge of day-to-day operations within the unit on matters of Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering Compliance, and Privacy matters, and escalation of such; Understanding the Business Continuity Plan and contributing to its effective execution
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? We'd love to work with you if you have:
- Thorough knowledge of Branch processing is considered an asset (FFT, ABM balancing, Investment Platform, Investigations, IRIS, corrections, Support package)
- Thorough knowledge of all reconciliation activities that are supported within the department.
- Demonstrated ability to learn multiple complex applications or good knowledge of RPM, FundServ, CGI, is considered an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of operating procedures as it relates to financial returns and reporting
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office including spreadsheet management.
- Ability to deal effectively with Branch/customer complaints, referring to a Manager/Supervisor where necessary, to ensure resolution is obtained to the complete satisfaction of all parties involved, the Customer, the Bank, and Reconciliation department.
- Demonstrated flexibility in a constantly changing environment (procedural and automated), being versatile and able to provide cover on several posts at different times and at different levels on any given day concurrently, as determined by planned and unplanned absences. .
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) to communicate during the investigation and reconciliation processes with multiple partners across the Bank and with OFI and external partners and to provide on the spot coaching to team members.
- Good time management skills to effectively manage workload which is subject to unplanned spikes in volumes
Some more information you might want to know.
- Standard office environment. While work type is predictable, often an unpredictable fluctuation in transaction volumes, exception items and financial reporting activity (month, quarter and year end activities) can cause considerable disruption with respect to timing as well as accuracy/reliability. Systems changes and implementation of new products create by nature, increased attention to new procedures and lower productivity that must be accounted for and resolved
Location(s): Canada : Quebec : Montreal
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.