Do you value safety and risk management and make it a priority just as we do? Are you motivated to work collaboratively in a team environment? Join Vale today. Continuously learn throughout your career.
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. Together. We value our workforce and strive to offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale Base Metals is one of the world's largest producers of high-quality nickel and an important producer of copper and responsibly sourced cobalt. With headquarters in Toronto, Canada, and operations in Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario, Manitoba, UK, Indonesia, and Brazil, we are delivering the critical building blocks for a cleaner, greener future.
Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine the critical minerals that power electric vehicles, build renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
We invite you to be part of our evolution.
The Instrumentation & Control Technician is integral for employee safety and Vale's long-term operating strategy. Members of this team work across different locations to ensure all instrumentation systems are functioning accurately. Team members are also involved in the development of long-term and short-term maintenance initiatives, practices and procedures.
We are currently seeking an Instrumentation Technologist to join our Refinery in Port Colborne, Ontario. This is a permanent position.
As an Instrumentation Technologist, you will continuously maintain and improve the reliability of production equipment by troubleshooting, installing, replacing, and calibrating instrumentation components and their supporting accessories. This includes ensuring the completion of assigned work with consistency and accuracy by following Vale's Safety Policies, Programs, and Legislative Standards.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Keep safety as a top priority, in all areas of work you will be analyzing and mitigating risk to yourself, others and the potential risks to production.
- Communicate with the operations team to co-ordinate on-going work to ensure that the required people are aware of the work going on, to ensure everything is in a safe state.
- Successfully execute daily, weekly, and monthly preventative maintenance tasks on various types of equipment to ensure their continued operation.
- Read and create P&IDs, blueprints, electrical schematics, and manuals to assist in diagnosis, troubleshooting and repair of equipment.
- Respond after-hours to breakdowns and on-call situations to assist with bringing production back online in a safe manner.
- Report deviations to established procedures and provide required documentation of work performed.
- Work well with others, often you will be sent into the field with other techs to achieve the tasks required to be completed.
- Come to work with a positive attitude and ready to do your best work.
- Trade Certification: You possess an Instrumentation and Control Technician (447A) Red seal accreditation or a College Technician or Technology Diploma in Instrumentation.
- A college Technician or Technology Diploma in Instrumentation.
- A college Technology Diploma in the Electrical/Electronic discipline with Instrumentation and/or Automation specialty.
- PLC or DCS background.
- Industrial or Construction Electrician License.
- Gas Technician Certification.
- A minimum of 3 years of trade experience (apprenticeship included).
- Knowledge of Ontario Electrical Safety Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation required.
- Experience working with PLCs, or other types of programming.
- Concern for Health, Safety and Environment.
- Strong mechanical and automation background.
- Accuracy, able to perform work quickly, safely, and accurately.
- Thoughtfulness, able to care for others on a personal level creating a strong team.
- Thoroughness, able to see all the details of a task without getting bogged down by them.
- Teamwork and co-operation, able to work well in a team both as a leader and as a team member.
How can Vale grow your career?
Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top-up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Online training and career development opportunities
Include to Transform
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are critical to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: November 13th, 2023.