Title: Obstetrician/Gynaecologist delegate - (International Readiness)
Employee working location: International
Employment status: Delegate
Salary Band: $94,842 - $99,191 /year
Duration: 4 to 6 weeks/Deployment
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) - one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada's Best Employers 2022 - is seeking experienced Obstetricians/Gynaecologists to join our Emergency Response Unit (ERU) delegate register!
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, rather you are applying for a position on the ERU register, to be called upon for future emergency deployments, as and when the need for your professional skillset is required. As opportunities become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Background: An ERU is composed of trained personnel (whom we call delegates) and state-of-the-art equipment ready to deploy at short notice nationally or internationally, to some of the most remote regions of the world, providing medical and healthcare aid to anyone affected by disasters and emergencies. ERUs may augment, or temporarily replace damaged or inaccessible local infrastructure with logistical, communication, administrative, clean water and sanitation support.
This opportunity means that if you are selected to be part of the ERU Surgeon register, your application will be reviewed on a rolling-basis, and should you meet the role qualifications, we will contact you accordingly once there is a direct requirement for your profile and start you on the path of deploying with us as a delegate!
In this role you will:
- Undertake professional duties to ensure safe and quality patient care
- Support and coordinate ERU local staff to undertake professional/technical activities. This could include supervision, mentoring and training.
- Given the nature of ERU and the context, the intensity and types of activities may vary by rotation (set up, running of the operation and handover).
What we are looking for:
- Current Professional Registration (registered and in good standing) in Canada
- Medical degree (M.D.) specializing in Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Minimum 3 years professional clinical experience
- Comfortable providing and managing reproductive maternal newborn health and emergency obstetric care in a low-resource environment
- Able to work independently and consult colleagues/refer patients as needed
- Comfortable with performing emergency caesarian sections
- Fluency in English
- Previous international experience in a humanitarian context is an asset
- Availability to deploy on short notice-48-72 hours and on unaccompanied missions of 4-6 weeks
- Successful completion of Vulnerable Sector criminal record and professional reference checks
- This is a field-based position. Working in countries of operation is very demanding, both physically and psychologically. Difficult working conditions are expected, including the following:
- Issues of access and mobility due to the dynamic nature of an emergency situation and proximity to disaster-affected area
- Long hours of work in a demanding context with limited resources
- The ability to work in a high risk, fluid and evolving situation may be required, as is the ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
- Basic living conditions that may include intermittent electricity, Internet and other basic services
- CRCS supports a safe working environment and comfortable accommodation however, as in all contexts, delegates must be aware and responsible for their personal safety and that of employees under their supervision.
- In some contexts, legal frameworks and institutions to enforce the rule of law are largely undeveloped.
- In some remote areas access to healthcare could be limited or non-existent
- All CRCS delegates must be cleared by the Travel Health Team with full medical and vaccination clearance.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.
$94,842 - $99,191