The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq
Department of Finance and Administration
Purchasing Clerk - Finance
About The CMM
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq (The CMM) is a Tribal Council representing the eight Mi'kmaq communities of mainland Nova Scotia. Our mission is to proactively promote and assist Mi'kmaq communities' initiatives towards self-determination and enhancement of community. The CMM's Department of Finance and Administration (DF&A) is currently looking for a motivated and knowledgeable candidate to fill the role of Purchasing Clerk - Finance.
Under the direction of the Director of Finance and Administration, and reporting to the Controller, the Payroll Clerk is responsible for the day-to-day processing and updating of purchase orders and updating of vendor information for all of CMM and affiliates. This includes data entry, transaction review, filing, vendor follow- up and clerical services to ensure effective, efficient, and accurate purchasing transactions.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Provide purchasing support to all business areas.
- Process purchasing transactions, update vendor records, create, nurture, and maintain purchasing relationships with vendors with a view to establishing "preferred" vendors.
- Ensure all purchasing transactions are recorded accurately and timely.
- Comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), financial and all CMM policies and procedures.
- Maintain the filing system for all the purchasing documentation.
- Respond to purchasing related queries from our auditors.
- Address requests from Operational managers regarding purchasing transactions.
- Reconcile and update purchasing related balance sheet accounts.
- Maintain all required Vendor files.
- Provide backup to the other associates within the finance department.
- Participate in relevant professional development opportunities provided by CMM.
- Any other related duties as required and as requested by the Controller.
- Ability to manage multiple lines of business, including the balance of working with the needs and requirements of many stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively with other departments, levels of government, industry, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multi-discipline teams, or independently, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in an environment requiring discretion and confidentiality.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and accounting software, such as Sage etc.).
- High levels of teamwork, client service and professionalism.
- Ability to apply creativity and innovative thinking to community focused solutions.
- Demonstrated strong initiative, motivation, conscientiousness, and dedication.
- Ability to work unsupervised with a high level of productivity with the ability to seek and take direction.
- Ability to be adaptable, flexible, manage multiple priorities to ensure fellow employees are well served and relationships are developed and maintained.
- Ability to think analytically and critically while problem solving to identify specific needs and potential solutions.
- Ability to manage time and various activities effectively and efficiently while providing quality customer service.
- Able to develop relationships and this will include strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, collaboration, conflict resolution, and active listening.
Why work with us?
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq (The CMM) is well known throughout Canada as a professional organization that is committed to providing a pleasant and healthy working environment for all its employees. As an organization, we understand that a great work/life balance is essential to success. As a full-time employee you can expect:
- An atmosphere that is both professional and family oriented.
- Enrollment in the organization's benefits packages on your first day of employment with no waiting period, which includes Health & Dental, and Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Generous amounts of paid time off (Paid Statutory Holidays plus St. Anne's Day and Aboriginal Day, Summer Shutdown (2 weeks), Christmas Shutdown (roughly 2 weeks), plus 1 week of discretionary vacation time (up to 2 weeks with 10 years of service).
- Social Committee, Staff Days, Staff Knowledge Days, etc.
If you would like to join The CMM Family, please see below on how to apply for this position.
Salary Range: $37,000 - $47,000 per year. This is a Permanent Position (pending successful one-year probationary contract).
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Submit Cover Letter AND Resume to:
c/o The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq
PO Box 1590, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 5V3
Email: [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Only those applicants who provide an up-to-date CV along with a cover letter and qualify for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate may be required to submit a current criminal record check. Applicants must provide proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency.