Starting at $24/h
The Mobile Service Technician (MST) is responsible for maintenance and repairs on light construction equipment (skid steers, chippers, trenchers, mini-excavators, etc.) at assigned Home Depot stores or customer job sites. Using company assigned vehicle, the MST makes routine visits to each store to inspect all equipment, document the status of each unit, perform all required preventive maintenance and repairs.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Responsible for inspecting, maintaining and repairing fleet of rental equipment at assigned store locations and/or customer job sites, with a particular emphasis on preventive maintenance.
- Inspect equipment for rental readiness, safe operation, and store appearance standards.
- Perform select repairs and on equipment and order needed parts.
- Respond to service calls.
- Utilize company technology platform to document all work performed on equipment, including labor and parts.
- Maintains accurate parts inventory in vehicle or shop location.
- Assist with equipment deliveries and pick-ups as required.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Regional Rental Manager (RRM), Branch Manager, Field Operations Rental Manager, or authorized personnel.
Compliance: Safety & Dept of Transportation 40%
- Maintain Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP) certifications (training provided).
- Remains current on local licensing, assigned training, Electronic Logging Device (ELD) and safety requirements.
- Maintains accurate fleet inventory and transfers equipment between locations.
- Deploys new equipment to store locations, including performing PDIs, delivering to the store, and training store associates on operation of the equipment
- Communicates clearly with teammates including store associates, technicians, and customers in both verbal and written communications.
- Provide training and/or demonstrate correct and safe operation of equipment to customers and associates.
- Provides support throughout the rental period for customers and rental associates, which may include providing best-in-class delivery
- Working conditions include working outdoors, including in extreme temperatures and weather conditions. Working around dirt, grease, fumes, oils, and chemicals; prolonged exposure to loud noises from engines, compressors, power tools, and equipment.
- May require overnight travel about 10-20% of the time (1-2 days every other week)
Requirements & Qualification
- Ability to communicate in English
- Valid Driver's License for the province you reside in and good driving record.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Ability to diagnose and complete advanced mechanical repairs, including engines, hydraulics, and electrical systems
- Experience and ability to provide superior customer service
- Ability to work effectively with different personality types and all levels of associates.
- Must be legally permitted to work in Canada
- Working knowledge of handheld technology (smartphone, laptop, tablet, applications).
- Working knowledge and understanding of Motor Carrier Safety regulations/Ministry guidelines.
- Strong Work Ethic
- Experience in equipment rental industry, auto/truck mechanic, oil and gas mechanical, light industrial equipment, mechanical/technical aptitude.
- Ability to read and understand technical repair and parts manuals for equipment, including mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical schematics
- Working understanding of safe load securement, tie downs, and transport.
- Ability to adapt to unforeseen circumstances, including weather and traffic.
- Ability to work independently
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a High School Diploma, GED, Technical or Trade School - or equivalent experience in a field of study related to the job.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, troubleshoot, and draw valid conclusions.
- Basic knowledge of compact construction equipment, including trenching and earth moving machinery.