The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq
Department of Environment and Natural Resources
About The CMM
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq (The CMM) is a Tribal Council representing the eight Mi'kmaq communities of mainland Nova Scotia. Our mission is to proactively promote and assist Mi'kmaq communities' initiatives towards self-determination and enhancement of community. The CMM's Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) is currently looking for a motivated and knowledgeable candidate to fill the role of DENR Office Administrator.
Under the direction of and reporting to the Director of DENR, the DENR Office Administrator is responsible for clerical, financial and administrative services to the Department. S/he will also be responsible for ensuring all administrative work required of the department is completed in a professional and timely manner. The DENR Administrator will also maintain an inventory of all governance documents and current account of all projects and proposals submitted by the department for easy access by the DENR staff and Director.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Working with the finance department to ensure payments and purchases are completed for the Department (on a by request basis).
- Working within the funding envelope received, processing payments, and monitoring of the DENR funding budgets.
- Work to receive appropriate management level approvals for payments.
- Performing day-to-day financial transactions including verifying, classifying, computing, posting and recording accounts receivable data.
- Track and process of accounts and incoming payments, in compliance with CMM's financial policies and procedures.
- Preparation of purchase orders.
- Prepare and issue invoices to clients as per company protocols and policies.
- Generate monthly financial statements, reports and other reports detailing accounts receivable status.
- Facilitate payment of invoices by reminding and contacting clients, contractors, vendors, etc. with outstanding accounts.
- Monitor accounting software and systems to ensure proper performance.
- Assist the department with quarterly and year end reporting, etc., (as required).
- Assist the Director with preparing and providing budget updates at management meetings for review and verification.
- Minimum of a one-year diploma program in a related field (e.g., office administration).
- Two or more years of clerical and administrative work experience.
- Experience working in or with First Nation communities.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of First Nations culture, history, and current affairs
- Good understanding of the Indian Act and Mi'kmaq aboriginal and treaty rights
- Understanding of issues related to the gathering and sharing of Traditional Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with other departments, on multi- discipline teams, or independently, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, written and spoken.
- Knowledge in managing, entering and analysis of data base information.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in an environment requiring discretion and confidentiality.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.)
- High values in teamwork, client service and professionalism
- Ability to apply creativity and innovative thinking to community focused solutions.
- Demonstrated strong initiative, motivation, conscientiousness, and dedication.
- Can work unsupervised with a high level of productivity with the ability to seek and take direction.
- Ability to be organized, adaptable, flexible, manage multiple priorities to ensure clients are well served and relationships are developed and maintained.
- Ability to think analytically and critically while problem solving to identify specific needs and potential solutions.
- Ability to manage time and various activities effectively and efficiently while providing quality customer service.
- Able to develop relationships and this will include strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, collaboration, presentation, conflict resolution, and active listening
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to coordinate many tasks, people and competing priorities.
- Ability to think strategically and able to look at the larger picture.
Why work with us?
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq (The CMM) is well known throughout Canada as a professional organization that is committed to providing a pleasant and healthy working environment for all its employees. As an organization, we understand that a great work/life balance is essential to success. As a full-time employee you can expect:
- An atmosphere that is both professional and family oriented.
- Enrollment in the organization's benefits packages on your first day of employment with no waiting period, which includes Health & Dental, and Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Generous amounts of paid time off (Paid Statutory Holidays plus St. Anne's Day and Aboriginal Day, Summer Shutdown (2 weeks), Christmas Shutdown (roughly 2 weeks), plus 1 week of discretionary vacation time (up to 2 weeks with 10 years of service).
- Social Committee, Staff Days, Staff Knowledge Days, etc.
If you would like to join The CMM Family, please see below on how to apply for this position.
Salary Range: $45,000 - $55,000 per year. This is a Permanent Position (pending successful one-year probationary contract).
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Submit Cover Letter AND Resume to:
c/o The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq
PO Box 1590, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 5V3
Email: [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Only those applicants who provide an up-to-date CV along with a cover letter and qualify for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate may be required to submit a current criminal record check. Applicants MUST provide proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency.