Provincial Supervisor, Emergency Shelter Program
The Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation (NL Housing) is a crown corporation whose mandate is to develop and administer housing assistance policy and programs for the benefit of low to moderate income households throughout the province. As the largest landlord in the Province, NL Housing manages a portfolio of over 5,500 units province-wide. The services provided by NL Housing provide clients with access to safe, stable and affordable housing, which is essential to the social, financial, and physical well-being of individuals, families and communities. There is a wide range of housing needs across the province, from those facing homelessness or at risk of homelessness, to low income households needing assistance to pay rent or complete much-needed repairs on their homes. For more information on our programs and services, and strategic priorities, please visit our website www.nlhc.nl.ca.
Competition Number: 2022/23-093-203766
Employment Type: Temporary
Department/Region: Community Partnerships and Homelessness
Location: Head Office, St. John's
Posting Status: Internal/External
Closing Date: May 31st, 2023
Salary Scale: $57,937 to $77,490 per annum on the Management Pay Plan (426 points), 35-hour work week
The Community Partnerships and Homelessness Department provides research and analysis of best practices in social and transitional housing, homelessness prevention; and supports the development of the Provincial Housing & Homelessness Plan. The Department supports the CEO and the Minister Responsible for Housing through the development of position papers and briefing materials to support engagement and partnership across the housing continuum. The Department also provides oversight of the corporation's eviction prevention framework, tenant and community relations program as well as the delivery of the provincial supportive living program, emergency accommodations (including shelters), as well as transition houses.
Reporting to the Manager, Supportive Housing Services, the Provincial Supervisor, Emergency Shelter Program is a management position that provides primary and direct supervision and oversight to the Emergency Housing Officers (EHO) with respect to managing day to day operations. The incumbent supervises work related to the delivery of the Emergency Shelter Program. The Emergency Shelter Program consists of a toll free, 24/7/365 shelter line that conducts shelter diversion and where appropriate intake services for individuals experiencing homelessness. Specific duties include: onboarding, performance coaching and training for the staff complement; delegation and assignment of tasks and appropriate placement follow up; on- call rotational scheduling, leave requests and approvals; and invoicing with signing authority up to $7,500. The position working in consultation with the Manager of Supportive Housing Services, will provide guidance with respect to policy and program delivery as it relates to shelter placement; complaints and inspection procedures. The position also acts as a liaison for community inquiries, as well as interagency, health authority, and departmental collaboration. The Supervisor will work as a part of a wider team which supports non-profit groups and initiatives addressing homelessness throughout the province. This position engages with a variety of community-based groups and other stakeholders, including shelter operators to strengthen and or advance the work of the emergency shelter program. The Supervisor will assist with data and information requests, through utilization of NL Housing's internal data and information management systems as well as support staff to comply with policy, procedural and legislative requirements. Other related duties, including providing after hours support to the EHO staff complement is required.
- Completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, or the social sciences (equivalencies may be considered)
- Experience in a supervisory role
- Experience working in a case/client service environment
- Experience working with individuals with complex needs
- Experience managing a unionized workforce (asset)
- Knowledge of social/government programs and the process for accessing these programs
- Knowledge of shelter diversion
- Knowledge of resource management
- Knowledge of complex social behaviours, harm reduction and trauma informed practices
- Knowledge of the progressive discipline processes, practices and dispute resolution
- Ability to exercise a high level of judgement and maintain confidentiality
- Leadership and initiative skills
- Critical and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to effectively exchange information
- Relationship building
Conditions of Employment
Conditions of Offer:
- Acceptable Certificate of Conduct
Conditions of Acceptance
- Acknowledges requirement for occasional travel, including overnight
- Acknowledges requirement for access to private transportation for business purposes
- Acknowledges requirement to carry a corporate cell phone
- Acknowledges requirement for flexible hours
- Newfoundland Labrador Housing values diversity in the workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Housing recognizes the need for work life balance and offers flexible work arrangements.
- Disability related accommodations are available upon request at any stage of the recruitment process by contacting [email protected] or by calling (709) 724-3002.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Applications should be received prior to midnight Newfoundland Standard time on the closing day.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application submitted clearly demonstrates the required criteria. Applications that do not clearly demonstrate the required screening criteria will be screened out.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application includes accurate and current contact information, including phone number, mailing and e-mail addresses.
- All information submitted as part of this application must be factual, complete and current to date of submission. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of stated credentials as part of the selection process.
- This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with NL Housing.
- Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
- This is not a position within the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Public Service.