Residence Life Coordinator (RLC)
Residence Life Office
Professional Staff Group
Classification: Band C
Salary Rate: $45, 318 - $55, 848 (based on 37.5 hour/week)
St. Francis Xavier University is a top-ranking Canadian university seeking a Residence Life Coordinator to join our team. The Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) is an integral part of Residence Life at St. Francis Xavier University, where you will enjoy living in a vibrant community on Nova Scotia's beautiful East Coast. StFX is known for a highly engaged student experience. Through proactive and developmental mentorship, the RLC is ideally positioned to create a positive impact on this significant transitional period in students' lives. With over half of the undergraduate student population living in residence, holistic student development and engagement are key features of the StFX residence experience.
- The RLC leads and supports positive building culture through proactive mentorship, programming, interventions, and support for the Senior Community Advisor (SCA), Community Advisors (CAs), student volunteers and residents of the building.
- Living on campus, the RLC is highly engaged in their community, and directly responsible for the residence experience by supporting student transition, wellness, personal development, safety, security, and community building.
- Promoting a living and learning residence environment is conducive to student's academic success, personal growth, and social development.
- Supervising student staff & student volunteers (includes hiring, training, and evaluating).
- Addressing behavioral concerns and complaints/participating in the student conduct process.
- Participate in a 24/7 emergency on-call rotation split evenly between 7 RLCs throughout the academic year.
- Have a minimum bachelor's degree with at least 2 years of residence living experience or related community living experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of approachability and empathy.
- Excellent intercultural communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work positively in diverse communities.
- Understanding the importance of community engagement and accountability.
- Have valid certification in Emergency First Aid Training with CPR/AED Level C or higher for the duration of the contract.
- Mental Health First Aid training and experiencing addressing mental health crisis' considered an asset.
- Must obtain an up-to-date criminal record check.
- Demonstrated leadership, mentorship and coaching skills.
- Excellent communication and good judgement under pressure.
The position will remain open until a successful candidate has been selected. To apply please submit a letter of application and a resume in confidence to Human Resources, StFX University at [email protected]. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
St. Francis Xavier University is located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People.
Our institution is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including Indigenous persons (especially Mi'kmaq), racialized persons (especially African Nova Scotians), persons with disabilities, those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQIA+ and any others who would contribute to the diversity of our community. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We are also committed to the elimination of barriers to participation for persons with disabilities. Should you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or 902-867-5038.
About the Residence Life Office
The Student Life Office works closely with other areas on campus to connect you to programs and people that help you succeed. We believe that the StFX community can be a sustainable, healthy, safe and vibrant place for students to live and learn and we provide connections to people and opportunities to make that vision possible. We strive to provide a positive space for all students to feel welcome and included in the wider StFX and Antigonish community. Academic success should always be your number one priority, a close second should be getting involved in the community around you.
Established in 1853, St. Francis Xavier University (StFX) is consistently recognized as one of the best universities in Canada. StFX exceeds the needs of today's undergraduates through providing the very best academic experience -- outstanding teaching, exceptional hands-on research opportunities, and global exchanges -- all within Canada's most vibrant and inspiring residential campus. Here, the focus is on the academic and the personal development of every student, making community and social engagement a large part of the learning experience. Our students are academically strong and highly engaged in every aspect of life, determined to make a positive impact on the world.
In 2022, Maclean's annual university rankings put StFX #1 in student satisfaction and #2 in reputation across Canada in the primarily undergraduate category. For more, visit www.stfx.ca
About Antigonish, Nova Scotia
The beautiful and historic town of Antigonish is located within the northeastern corner of Nova Scotia. Only a 15-minute drive from the ocean and a two-hour drive to major urban centres, Antigonish is a family-friendly community with a diverse and growing population and provides access to excellent education at all levels. The town is surrounded by rolling countryside and beautiful beaches and is a hotspot for outdoor recreation, sports and other active lifestyle activities. Antigonish supports a vibrant culture in the arts with music, performing arts, visual arts and crafts, and fabulous festivals happening throughout the year.
For more information visit www.townofantigonish.ca or www.visitantigonish.ca.