Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart ofwhat we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines and concentrator plant, is in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
The Instrumentation Mechanic is integral for employee safety and Vale's long term operating strategy. Members of this team will work at the T3 Mine to maintain the mine instrumentation and technical infrastructure. Team members are also involved in the development of long-term and short-term maintenance initiatives, practices and procedures.
We are currently seeking a Industrial Instrumentation Mechanic/Technician to join our Maintenance Department in Thompson, Manitoba. This is a permanent position
As an Industrial Instrumentation Mechanic, you will be responsible for maintaining and improving the reliability of production by maintaining the mine technical infrastructure and instrumentation. Your experience and skills will contribute to scheduled or emergency repairs, installation and inspection of work to be done in the shop or field.
Additionally, in this position, you will:
- Safely install, test, debug and troubleshoot various pieces of equipment, preforming inspections as required.
- Safely perform Preventative Maintenance work to meet production schedules.
- Diagnose and repair instrumentation equipment problems and breakdowns to reduce impact on operations.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, electrical diagrams and OEM Manuals.
- Respond to emergency situations and or call outs as required.
- Report deviations to established procedures and provide required documentation of work performed.
- Align with work safety policies and safety regulations.
- Inter-Provincial Red Seal (Certificate of Qualification) as an instrumentation Mechanic.
- 3-4 years of industrial experience.
- Proven understanding of the Manitoba Electrical Safety Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation is required.
- Maintain, install, repair or splice various types of communication and instrumentation cable and wiring.
- Ability to dismantle, assemble, install, clean, inspect, adjust, calibrate, test repair or replace faulty parts and wiring on all types of instrumentation and electronic devices.
How can Vale grow your career?
The Instrumentation mechanic is a maintenance position that will allow the right candidate to shape our mining operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, health, dental and disability plans))
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Flexible work arrangements
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Online training and career development opportunities
- Opportunities to advise and oversee the design, budget and construction of new mines and expansions
Thompson is known as the "Hub of the North." The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: September 30, 2023