BARGAINING UNIT: Non-Bargaining
ZONE: Negotiable (Saint John, Fredericton, Miramichi, Moncton, Upper River Valley)
DEPARTMENT: Pharmacy Services
POSTING TYPE: Temporary Full Time
LANGUAGE: English Essential
JOB TITLE: Allied Health Professional Student
HOURS OF WORK: Day Shift 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM however may be required to work occasional evenings and weekends.
SALARY: $20.00 / hr [as per completed year(s) of post-secondary studies]
The pharmacy intern provides support to pharmacists and direct care to patients commensurate with the level of education and training. Work is performed in accordance with: institutional and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines; the established vision and values of Horizon Health Network; the New Brunswick College of Pharmacists' standards of practice and code of ethics, and practice guidelines of the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists.
Successful completion of first year of entry-to-practice pharmacy degree program (e.g. Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy), continued enrolment in a recognized pharmacy degree program, and registered (or eligible for registration) as a pharmacy student with New Brunswick College of Pharmacists.
Under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, the pharmacy intern performs functions that support daily patient care services of staff pharmacists in assigned patient care areas. The type and scope of duties assigned to a pharmacy intern may vary depending on the practice site, level of pharmacy education, and other skills or attributes.
- Participates as an active member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team to ensure the safe, effective, rational and cost-effective use of medications for the inpatients and outpatients served by Horizon Health Network.
- Provides direct patient care, in partnership with pharmacists and pharmacy technicians that includes but is not limited to: medication history-taking (including best possible medication history); assessment of patient-specific medication regimens; screening and interpretation of patient reports and clinical test results; assisting with identification and resolution of drug therapy problems; educating patients and/or families, providing drug information to patients, staff and physicians.
- Participates in pharmacy-based project work and research activities as assigned that includes but is not limited to: collecting, analysing and summarizing data; performing literature searches and evaluations; preparing and providing written reports and verbal presentations.
- Attends and actively participates in staff education events such as case presentations, journal clubs and other seminars.
- Observes pharmacists and other healthcare providers in the performance of their duties.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to other pharmacy learners, as needed.
Competencies identified by Horizon Health Network:
- Demonstrated ability to meet the job requirement
- Decision Making
- Planning and Prioritizing Work
- Interpersonal Relations
Other: May be exposed to potentially hazardous and toxic substances