The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq
Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Agriculture & Climate Manager
About The CMM
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq (The CMM) is a Tribal Council representing the eight Mi'kmaq communities of mainland Nova Scotia. Our mission is to proactively promote and assist Mi'kmaq communities' initiatives towards self-determination and enhancement of community. The CMM's Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) is currently looking for a motivated and knowledgeable candidate to fill the role of Agriculture and Climate Manager.
Under the direction and reporting to the Director of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) the Agriculture & Climate Manager is responsible for managing The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq's Agriculture and Climate Change projects. For Agriculture, the manager will coordinate the efforts of two full- time staff members and numerous seasonal employees to plan and execute the amu es'mit project, which will include establishing productive greenhouses, gardens, and apiaries in communities, improving community food security and food sovereignty, and building the capacity of community members to participate in the agricultural sector, as well as coordinating efforts for the agriculture contracts. For climate change, the Project Manager will oversee the Mi'kmaw Climate Monitoring Initiative and the Climate Action Adaptation projects to ensure that project staff have the appropriate direction and support to complete all necessary deliverables.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Lead and Manage the Agriculture & Climate branch of DENR according to the strategic direction recommended by the Senior Director and ratified by the CMM Board of Directors
- Working with the Senior Director and with the eight CMM member communities in the development of strategic plans for agriculture
- Assist with the development and implementation of an annual work plan for the department
- Develop and maintain working relationships with key contacts in government, academia, NGOs, and the private sector
- Working with the Operations Manager, provide financial monitoring for the projects in accordance with approved budgets
- Act as a technical liaison on agriculture, apiculture, and climate change for community members, Advisory Committee members, and Chief and Council
- Facilitate the preparation, development and review of funding proposals and report that support the multi-year objectives of the DENR
- Explore funding and develop DENR projects as recommended by the Advisory Committee, Board of Directors and Senior Director
- Assist the DENR management team with the overall vision for the department by providing advice, new ideas, and administrative support for other projects where required
- Assist Communication Officer with content for communication material, as required
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with community staff, administration, public works, and general members to ensure positive working relationships in future projects
- Identify and recommend department/unit policies and practices to the Senior Director
- Write reports and deliver presentations and briefings for management, as required
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma or certification in a relevant discipline (example: Agriculture, Plant Science, or Biology) OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of five-years' experience working in agriculture, climate change, or a related field
- Strong understanding of agriculture, apiculture, and climate change adaptation, mitigation and/or monitoring
- Ability to work effectively with other departments, levels of government, industry and the public
- Demonstrated ability to work on multi-discipline teams, or independently, and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook etc.)
Why work with us?
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq (The CMM) is well known throughout Canada as a professional organization that is committed to providing a pleasant and healthy working environment for all its employees. As an organization, we understand that a great work/life balance is essential to success. As a full-time employee you can expect:
- An atmosphere that is both professional and family oriented.
- Enrollment in the organization's benefits packages on your first day of employment with no waiting period, which includes Health & Dental, and Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Generous amounts of paid time off (Paid Statutory Holidays plus St. Anne's Day and Aboriginal Day, Summer Shutdown (2 weeks), Christmas Shutdown (roughly 2 weeks), plus 1 week of discretionary vacation time (up to 2 weeks with 10 years of service).
- Social Committee, Staff Days, Staff Knowledge Days, etc.
If you would like to join The CMM Family, please see below on how to apply for this position.
Salary Range: $60,000 - $75,000 per year. This is a Permanent Position (pending successful one-year probationary contract).
Application Deadline: Open until position filled.
Submit Cover Letter AND Resume to:
c/o The Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq
PO Box 1590, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 5V3
Email: [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Only those applicants who provide an up-to-date CV along with a cover letter and qualify for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate may be required to submit a current criminal record check. Non-Canadian applicants must be able to provide proof of current entitlement of eligibility to work in Canada.