Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Operations Worker III
Grand Manan Division
Saint John District
Who we are?
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure's mission is to contribute to New Brunswick's economy and quality of life by providing and supporting sustainable infrastructure that allows for the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and government services to the public. Not only is the department responsible for managing over 18,000 kilometers of provincial highways, it also manages the planning, design and construction of hospitals, schools and other government buildings.
What you will do
As an Operations Worker III, you will work under the direction of the Highway Supervisor and be responsible for:
- Perform skilled duties in the construction and maintenance of highways.
- Safe and efficient operation of a variety of heavy equipment, including a one-person plow during winter operations as requested, per the procedures set by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure.
- Performing normal maintenance and minor repairs on assigned equipment, preparing and maintaining work records on the operation of the assigned equipment.
- Ensure roads are safe for public use through plowing and placing sand and salt on roads.
- Office location: Grand Manan
- Work holidays, weekends, shift and/or variable hours.
- May work in adverse road and weather conditions.
- We promote a scent-reduced environment.
Who you are?
Key behavioural competencies
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Results Orientation
- Concern for order
- Completion of grade ten (10) and a minimum of three (3) years' experience in the operation of heavy construction equipment.
- Possession of a valid New Brunswick Class 3 driver's license with endorsement for air brakes is also required.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Please attach a copy of your driver's license with your application.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration.
- Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
- Please ensure that your preferred language of assessment is identified in your résumé.
Preference may be given to candidates that are One Person Plow certified. Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application the asset qualification in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure offers:
- Meaningful work and the opportunity to support New Brunswickers in times of need.
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, Health and Dental Plan, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services.
SALARY: $23.72 per hour bi-weekly, based on 40-hours per week.
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health and safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health and safety.
How to apply?
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by e-mail to [email protected] or by mail at the following address indicating competition number 2022‑D04-24. This opportunity will be open until filled. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
District 04 - Saint John
50 Crown Street, Suite 105
Saint John, NB E2L 2X6
Telephone: (506) 643-7463
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Check out what it is like to work at the Government of New Brunswick, where we are working together as One Team One GNB to improve the lives of New Brunswickers every day!
Let's connect. You belong here.