Under the supervision of the Payroll Supervisor, the Payroll Coordinator is responsible for strict adherence to collective agreements, best practice and legislation to ensure processing of comprehensive biweekly payroll for employees in an accurate and timely manner. The Payroll Coordinator is responsible to collect, verify and process all payroll information utilizing established policies and procedures.
With strict adherence to all policies, procedures, regulations, legislation and collective agreements process the employee life cycle in SAP, ensuring consistency, accuracy and timeliness of payroll related payments by:
- Processing accurate and timely payments to employees
- Create and maintain all pertinent data related to the employee life cycle such as appointments, transfers, leaves, promotions, terminations, time entry.
- Ensures that all service-related entitlements and premiums such as vacation, and general illness are adjusted to align with policy.
- Understands and consistently applied relevant articles of collective agreements, regulations and labour standards code including but not limited to pay increments, vacations, holidays, vacation pay, prepaid leave, overtime payment. Seeks clarification and escalates matters as required to Payroll Specialist.
- Maintains contact with employees to advise of any pay-related issues. Responds to employee enquiries on payroll and benefit matters.
- Enroll/terminate employees in benefit and pension plans by completing paperwork and performing online enrollments/terminations.
- Identifies risks or problems and brings them to the attention of the Payroll Specialist.
- Completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree in a related field;
- Have strong attention to detail, organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent data entry skills with minimal entry errors;
- Ability to work in team environment, and ability to efficiently transition to changing priorities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, high degree of confidentiality and discretion is essential;
- Ability to function under high pressure situations and tight deadlines.
- As an entry level position previous related experience processing payroll for a medium to large unionized organization would be considered an asset;
- Experience and working knowledge with SAP HR/Payroll module.
- A Canadian Payroll Association designation (PCP, CPM) or working toward one of these.
Competencies required at this level of work are: Compliance Knowledge, Problem-solving Skills, Initiative, Computer and Software proficiency.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Work With Us
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver's abstract, child abuse registry and confirmation of education credentials.
Based on the employment status, eligibility and union agreement, the Nova Scotia Housing Authorities offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Classification/Pay Grade: TE19
Salary Range: $47,740.92 to $56,054.20 annually
Work Week: 35 hours
Note: This is not a Civil Service position.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number and name.
Our preferred method of applying is through Career Beacon, otherwise applications/ resumes should be sent directly to:
Housing Authority, Human Resources Services
Email: [email protected]
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.