Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Automotive Equipment Inspector
Vehicle Management Agency
Moncton or Rexton
Saint John, Sussex or St. Stephen
Who we are?
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure's mission is to contribute to New Brunswick's economy and quality of life by providing and supporting sustainable infrastructure that allows for the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and government services to the public. Not only is the department responsible for managing over 18,000 kilometers of provincial highways, it also manages the planning, design and construction of hospitals, schools and other government buildings.
The Vehicle Management Agency's mission is to provide fleet management and vehicle maintenance services to Government, on an economical basis and according to established standards, to enable clients to deliver quality services to the public.
What you will do?
As a member of the Vehicle Management Agency (VMA), the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- performing inspections and supplying recommendations regarding replacements, procurements and repairs to a large central government fleet of vehicles;
- auditing motor vehicle inspections completed by GNB mechanics;
- performing regular inspections and providing reports on various types of equipment;
- making recommendations on regular maintenance, major repairs, salvage and disposal of assets;
- ensuring adherence to VMA policy and procedures;
- monitoring and auditing shop budgets/operations within assigned areas;
- providing advice and direction on shop related issues to management personnel;
- providing liaison with other government departments and agencies, as well as various manufacturers and suppliers on technical issues;
- operating and utilizing the Fleet Management System; and serving on committees as a technical resource.
- Locations: Moncton or Rexton, Saint John, Sussex, or St. Stephen. Please ensure that your application indicates the location for which you wish to be considered
- 40-hour work week
- We promote a scent-reduced environment.
- Extensive travel within the Province and some travel outside of the Province will be required.
Who you are?
Key behavioural competencies:
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment
- Client Service orientation
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Possession of a Journeyperson's Certificates in the Automotive Service Technician Trade (AST) and the Truck and Transport Trade (T&T), as issued by the Province of New Brunswick.
- Five (5) years of related experience in a vehicle repair shop environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid class 5 driver's license as issued by the Province of New Brunswick.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Depending on the location applied for, one position requires written and spoken competence in French and English, and the other requires written and spoken competence in English. Please state your preferred location and your language capacity.
Please attach a copy of both certificates (AST and T&T) with your application or send a copy to [email protected]
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration.
Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
Please ensure that your preferred language of assessment is identified in your résumé.
- Experience in supervising/managing personnel and client relationship development.
- Experience in Vehicle modification, welding design interpretation, and/or troubleshooting hydraulic systems.
- Knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Act and Vehicle Inspections Regulation.
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure offers:
- Meaningful work and the opportunity to support New Brunswickers in times of need.
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, Health and Dental Plan, Life Insurance and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services.
SALARY: $29.17 hourly
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health and safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health and safety
How to apply?
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by e-mail to [email protected] or by mail at the following address indicating competition number 2022-D85-03. This opportunity will be open until filled. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Human Resources Branch
P. O. Box 6000, Fredericton NB E3B 5H1
Telephone: (506) 453-3939
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.