Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
(Pay Band 5)
Property Services Branch
Who we are?
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure's mission is to contribute to New Brunswick's economy and quality of life by providing and supporting sustainable infrastructure that allows for the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and government services to the public. Not only is the department responsible for managing over 18,000 kilometers of provincial highways, it also manages the planning, design and construction of hospitals, schools and other government buildings.
What will you do?
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Property Services Branch, the Claims Manager is responsible for:
- Acting as the liaison with the office of the Attorney General on matters pertaining to civil litigation and act as the department representative at mediations, discoveries, settlement conferences and trials. The selected candidate will also represent the Department at Small Claims Court.
- Providing direction, leadership and management to the Claims Unit.
- Conducting investigations into civil litigation cases.
- Reviewing and making recommendations on expropriation cases as well as determination of liability on all complex claims' issues.
- Providing guidance, recommendations and advice to Departmental employees, including senior management, on claims issues, and risk management.
- Office location: 440 King Street, Fredericton
- Open office layout
- Standard hours of work: Monday - Friday, 8:15-4:30
- We promote a scent-reduced environment.
- Some travel within the Province will be required.
Who you are?
Key behavioural competencies:
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment
- Developing Others
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Organizational Commitment
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Human Resources Management
- Planning and Organizing Skills
- Written Communication
- University degree with course work in law, criminology or business
- A minimum of five (5) years of related work experience in conducting investigations, negotiations, property law or experience in insurance claims or expropriation matters.
- A minimum of one (1) year of supervisory experience is required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid class 5 driver's license as issued by the Province of New Brunswick
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration.
Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
Please ensure that your preferred language of assessment is identified in your résumé.
Preference may be given to candidates that demonstrate the following assets:
- knowledge of the civil court process,
- experience in taking statements and/or in negotiations and expropriation matters.
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure offers:
- Meaningful work and the opportunity to support New Brunswickers in times of need.
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, Health and Dental Plan, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services.
SALARY: $2,331.00 to $3,256.00 bi-weekly, based on 36.25 hours per week
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health and safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health and safety.
How to apply?
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by e-mail to [email protected] or by mail at the following address indicating competition number 2022-D55-04. This opportunity will be open until filled. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Human Resources Branch
P. O. Box 6000, Fredericton NB E3B 5H1
Telephone: (506) 453-3939
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Check out what it is like to work at the Government of New Brunswick, where we are working together as One Team One GNB to improve the lives of New Brunswickers every day!
Let's connect. You belong here.