Mount Allison acknowledges, honours, and respects that the land named Sackville, NB is part of the unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People who are the historic inhabitants, custodians, and dwellers on the land where our University is built and confirms its commitment to strengthening relationships with all Indigenous people.
Position title: Recruitment and Admissions Counsellor (two positions)
Department: Registrar's Office
Opportunity type: Non-academic
Classification: MASA Grade 9
Type: Full-time three-year nine-month sessional term position
Supervisor's title: Director of Recruitment Admissions and Awards
Posted date: August 5, 2022
Closing date: August 15, 2022
Reporting to the Director of Recruitment, Admissions, and Awards, the Recruitment and Admissions Counsellor works as part of a team in representing the University to prospective students, parents, guidance counsellors, and others for the purpose of introducing and recruiting students to the University. This will involve extensive travel as well as regular presentations to groups and to individuals. They will counsel students and their parents on the admission process and the University in general. The Recruitment and Admissions Counsellor also evaluates applicants' academic credentials and eligibility for admission to the University, prepares related reports, and assists with associated programs and materials.
- Plan, arrange and participate in visits to high schools and other recruitment related events, receptions, alumni events, parent information sessions, to promote Mount Allison to students, parents, and guidance counselors;
- Develop and deliver presentations that promote the many benefits of attending Mount Allison;
- Provide detailed information on admission policies and practices, as well as general information on academic, co-curricular, and extra-curricular programs, current events, and other issues of interest to various stakeholders;
- Keep abreast of admission requirements and programs across faculties and degree programs, including changes to degree requirements, academic and other university regulations;
- Remain current with developing trends and initiatives in strategic enrolment;
- Produce reports on recruitment activities.
- Contribute to Mount Allison admission's social media accounts
- Respond to inquiries and counsel prospective students and their parents or guardians on the university application process and admission requirements;
- Assist high school guidance counselors with relevant academic information;
- Conduct admissions meetings and on-the-spot admissions assessments;
- Evaluate applicants' academic credentials and eligibility for admission to the university ensuring that applicants are assessed promptly and accurately;
- Update and maintain accurate data for admissions decisions;
- Assess admissions trends for specific markets, as assigned;
- Identify opportunities for improvement in admissions processes and data management;
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor;
- A university degree with preference given to recent graduates of Mount Allison;
- A minimum of one year of experience in a post-secondary environment in admissions, public relations, marketing, or other related experience;
- First-hand experience at Mount Allison as a current or former member of the university community and a positive high-energy approach to sharing that experience with others;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and strong intercultural sensitivity and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Polished presentation skills and strong technical/multimedia skills;
- Strong listening skills, patience, and a professional service orientation with an ability to analyze problems and find potential solutions;
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills within the framework of University policy;
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervison
- Ability to assess student fit for Mount Allison and advise accordingly;
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, work well independently and with others while showing good judgement;
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and function at a high level with minimal direct supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task;
- Proficiency with computer applications in Microsoft Office, E-mail, presentation software, and a familiarity with student information systems (experience with Ellucian Recruiter and Colleague preferred);
- Ability to work flexible, irregular hours including weekends, and enjoy extensive travel;
- Experience with travel for professional purposes;
- A valid driver's license and a valid passport.
- Knowledge of high school programs and familiarity with the Canadian and American education systems;
- Knowledge of Mount Allison University's student recruitment and admissions procedures;
- Ability to communicate in both official languages and other languages would be an asset.
If you are interested in the challenges and opportunities that this position has to offer, please forward your application to: Human Resources Department, Mount Allison University, 65 York St., Sackville, NB E4L 1E4 Fax: (506) 364-2385, e-mail: [email protected] Review of applications will begin on August 15, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Visit our website at www.mta.ca/employment for other employment opportunities at Mount Allison University or to register to receive e-mail notification of new opportunities.
Mount Allison is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage applications from members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual and gender identities. We seek candidates with qualifications and knowledge to contribute specifically to the further diversification of our campus community.