Due to our recent growth and expansion, GEMTEC is actively seeking an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer/Geoscientist for our Mount Pearl office.
GEMTEC is a growing firm and we are continually looking for motivated and skilled individuals to join our team. We have created a challenging and inviting workplace, where individuals are provided the opportunity to gain a variety of experience and advance their careers. GEMTEC management understands that creative, talented employees are assets, and that an investment in employee development is an investment in our firm. We strive to have employees that are multi-faceted and versatile with a variety of skills.
GEMTEC currently has an opening for an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer or Geoscientist in our Mount Pearl, NL office location. The position provides the opportunity to support and grow the existing Engineering Team within our St. John's office. You will work with a team of engineers, as well as geoscientists, hydrogeologists, environmental scientists, and technicians, on a variety of projects in support of mine development and other civil-based projects.
- Provide technical support on a wide variety of geotechnical, as well as hydrogeological and environmental projects; including the preparation and supervision of field programs, data collection, data analysis, technical report writing, and proposal preparation.
- Assist intermediate and senior staff to design and conduct field investigations including: soils/rock drilling and logging, test pit logging, soil and bedrock characterization, monitoring well and other instrument tasks/installation, hydrogeological testing, as well as associated field coordination and sub-contractor coordination.
- Support other multidisciplinary field programs, as needed, including environmental field biological and hydrological surveys, soil, groundwater, sediment and surface water sampling, and contaminated site assessment programs;
- Assist intermediate and senior staff in preparing proposals and cost estimates, performing engineering and geoscience analysis and writing technical reports presenting field findings, data analysis results, recommendations, etc.
- Completion of a recognized bachelor's degree in civil engineering, preferably with a major in geotechnical engineering or a bachelor's degree in earth sciences.
- Eligible for registration with PEGNL (P.Eng. or P.Geo.).
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience (preferably in consulting). Candidates with less years of experience are also encouraged to apply.
- Understanding of soil/bedrock classification, drilling methods, in-situ geotechnical testing (settlement, compaction, vibration monitoring, etc.), soil/rock logging, sampling protocols, in-situ hydraulic conductivity testing, monitoring well and instrument installation, etc. Demonstrated field experience in these areas preferred.
- Experience in conducting environmental field studies would be an asset.
- Familiarity with software packages specific to geotechnical and hydrogeological analysis (borehole logging such as GINT, analytical software such as Rocscience, Geostudio, and AQTESOLV) would be an asset.
- Ability and interest to undertake extensive fieldwork, in a range of weather conditions, including working in remote locations and on programs that may require camp stays.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and the willingness to work overtime, as required.
- Well-developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication and organizational skills.
Work With Us
- Full time
- Providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment. Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis in relation to local health guidelines and/or client requirements/regulations.
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Many of our roles qualify for reallocation assistance within Canada, please ask for more details
Interested individuals should apply by email to:
Thank you for taking the time to consider GEMTEC. Only candidates proceeding to the next phase of the application process will be contacted at this time. We encourage you to connect with us on LinkedIn, even if this opportunity isn't for you, the next one might be!
Should you be selected for an interview and require accommodation of any kind, please kindly help us understand how we can help.