SHIFT is focused on reducing the carbon footprint of large buildings – the silent driver behind 20% of the world's carbon emissions. From data centers to office towers and hospitals, our small team of researchers and engineers is changing the way these buildings work for the better. We are developing AI-based supervisory control systems that leverage energy storage to reduce GHG associated with these large-scale heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.
We are looking for a physics or mechanical engineering graduate to join our R&D team full time, to contribute to the design and development of our optimal control software products. You will be part of a high-performing team of multi-disciplinary experts creating leading edge control software and integrating these control algorithms into our existing code base.
What you get to do in this role:
- Make a real difference in the fight against climate change
- Contribute to the design and evaluation of large-scale mathematical optimization strategies
- Develop statistical models of HVAC and Energy Storage devices and systems
- Plan, design and run experiments to test and validate those models and optimization strategies
- Conduct literature reviews on state-of-the-art methods for HVAC/storage optimization
- Become the subject matter expert in assigned aspects of HVAC / energy storage
- Monitor and leverage industry, government and academic research and technology developments in HVAC and energy storage optimizationContribute to the knowledge base of the company: share knowledge with team members
- Collaborate with other team members specializing in simulation, modelling, development, etc.
- Document requirements to productize those optimization strategies: support integration teams
- Identify subpar operation or blind spots in product operation and recommend improvements to control algorithms.
- Contribute to product vision and roadmap
- A B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in Physics or an M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (recent grad)
- A strong interest in experimental design
- A solid background in thermodynamics, mathematical optimization and statistics
- Proficiency in Python and Git and ability to learn new languages and frameworks as needed
- Familiarity with control systems within large buildings would be an asset
…and you are:
- Passionate and curious about combatting climate change
- Always improving your skills and knowledge: you want to be the best at what you do
- Curious and creative; comfortable taking on new problems and challenges
- A self-starter with the ability to recommend priorities to the project leader
Comfortable working through problems and figuring things out with minimal supervision
- A strong analyst with great problem-solving skills: thorough and reliable
- Able to work in a team: share knowledge and assist other team members
- A good communicator: able to explain your ideas and recommendations
- Well organized and dependable under pressure: you manage your time effectively
Work With Us
SHIFT offers you:
- A values-driven workplace where people really matter
- Flexible work location with an optional relocation package
- Aupport for remote work/work from home
- Competitive salary, retirement savings program, and bonus plan including stock options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans and access to e-health care
- Paid vacation, parental leave, paid sick leave and 5 paid Mariner MyLife days
- Unlimited training and the opportunity to develop your skills in Machine Learning
Why Mariner Partners?
We believe in making a positive impact in the communities where we live and work – our team is located in major cities all across Canada, throughout the US and internationally. We are proud to be headquartered here, and are passionate about growing a strong technology sector here in Atlantic Canada and beyond. We offer competitive compensation; benefits packages and training and development.
We recognize that empowered employees are more innovative, more efficient, deliver better customer service and can flat out-perform conventional organizations. Our people have built products for national deployments at the world's largest TV and Internet companies and leading real estate, financial and government organizations.
We are looking for passionate IT professionals who are curious about data, who love solving problems for customers and who want to grow their careers.
Join our growing team!