Job Title: Intermediate Accountant
Business Unit: Corporate Finance, Emera Energy
Location: Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Regular, Full Time
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Emera Energy (EE) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Emera Inc. Based in Halifax, Emera Energy manages energy commodities and provides related energy management services on behalf of customers throughout Canada and the United States.
The business combines a wealth of expertise, experience and technology to harness global, regional, and local market information related to commodities, generation, transmission, gas transportation and storage to realize growth opportunities.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing and Trading Financial Reporting, the Intermediate Accountant is responsible for the following key responsibilities :
- Preparing monthly journal entries and general ledger monitoring, including full working paper/audit file preparation, detailed account reconciliations and analysis;
- Settlement activities, including reconciliation of invoice information with counterparties, invoice payment, monitoring bank account activity, and processing invoice and settlement activity;
- Working closely with other departments within EE to resolve any settlement discrepancies;
- Preparing government and other regulatory reports related to EE's business;
- Providing a high level of customer service, mainly via telephone and email;
- Preparing other routine and ad hoc analysis and reports.
You will be responsible for personal safety and that of co-workers, by observing all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations.
Skills, Competencies and Experience:
As the ideal candidate you recognize yourself in most of the following competencies, and posses or are working towards the desired skills and experience listed below;
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or Commerce with a minimum 3 years related work experience;
- Must hold a CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation;
- Detailed oriented and posses strong quantitative, analytical, and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven, team-focused environment;
- Have a solid business acumen, customer focused and comfortable working with confidential information.
- Experience with financial reporting systems and Excel.
At Emera, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position you speak up on health, safety, and environment issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change.
A Corporate Accountant builds strong collaborative relationships with a commitment to a respectful, inclusive, and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make well informed decisions.
Why join Emera?
Emera is one of Atlantic Canada's largest publicly traded companies, and a North American Top 20 utility. Our ability to serve more customers in more places is thanks to the commitment of our 7,100 employees in Canada, the USA, and the Caribbean. As we develop, we are excited to welcome new team members who are committed to our purpose and our approach to business. Emera values people who believe that safety and health, relationships, and excellence are integral to how we work. In return, we value the diversity of our people and invest in their growth through:
- competitive compensation packages: including a comprehensive pension and benefits plan and employee-sponsored saving plans;
- opportunities for career growth: including a strategic focus on employee development plans, opportunities to advance within and between our affiliate companies, sponsored education programs;
- giving back to communities: including corporate investments in the places where our people live and work; employee dollars-for-doers and fundraising-matching programs, scholarships for children of employees.
At Emera our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate, you are a strong leader who works to advance a safety culture by placing safety, health, and wellness above any business objective. You understand the importance of strong inclusive teams and develop employees to take on challenges and opportunities. As the Senior Auditor, IT, you encourage innovation, lead change to ensure continuous improvement demonstrating integrity, and set clear expectations for a high standard of work performance for yourself and the Corporate HR team. Lastly as the successful candidate it is your responsibility to connect every decision to the company strategy and apply sound judgment to translate new ideas into actions.
Reports to: Manger, Marketing and Trading Financial Reporting
Application Requirement: To apply, please click on the blue 'APPLY NOW' button in this job posting, complete all required information fields, and attach your cover letter and resume into one single file to the online form.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: We encourage you to apply at your earliest opportunity but no later than July 17, 2022. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
In accordance with Emera's occupational health and safety program and the Emera Vaccine Program, subject to any approved accommodation, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For clarity, "fully vaccinated" means having the number of doses or combination of doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada or local public health agencies in the jurisdiction in which they will be employed.
At Emera we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through the on-line application process. Emera supports candidates and employees with access and accommodation needs.