Human Resources Consultant
Any candidate not currently employed in the New Brunswick Public Service will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, or a valid medical certificate exempting them from the vaccine.
Department of Environment and Local Government
Human Resources Consultant
(Pay Band 3 & 4)
Flexible Location within New Brunswick
Who we are
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Corporate Services and Community Funding Division provides departmental services including financial management, legal affairs analysis, performance excellence, as well as oversight of human resources management and information technology development and support. It provides oversight and administration services for the Gas Tax Fund, the Small Communities Fund and the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund, as well as the provincial Environmental Trust Fund. The division provides technical support and engineering advice to communities in addressing their infrastructure concerns as they relate to the applicable funding programs.
Department of Environment and Local Government provides integrated stewardship through planning and management of land use, zoning development and waste management issues. It ensures effective enforcement of, and compliance with, environmental legislation and regulations and provides effective consultation and liaison with municipal governments and Local Service Districts (LSD) on governance issues.
What you will do?
As a member of the Human Resources team, you will be responsible to provide operational support and professional human resources-related services to a defined set of client groups within ELG. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Health and Safety
- Employee and labour relations
- Recruitment and Talent Acquisition
- Classification and compensation
- Attendance management and support
- Performance management
- Participate in labour management meetings, adjudications, and collective bargaining process
- Guide and support managers on various employee relations matters such as grievances, employee misconduct, respectful workplace investigations, leave management, Human Rights
- Other related duties, programs and special projects as assigned.
- Office location: Flexible
- Standard hours of work: Monday - Friday, 8:15-4:30 (office schedule)
- We promote a scent-reduced environment.
Who you are
You are open to new challenges, solution-oriented and able to work within a fast-paced team environment. You enjoy being part of a collaborative team working towards common goals. You are concerned for the safety and wellbeing of New Brunswickers.
Your attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of study. We are looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
- Pay Band 4: A bachelor's degree in a related field and a minimum of four (4) years of related human resources experience some of which could include transferable skills such as supervisory or management experience OR a two (2) year post-secondary diploma in a related field with a minimum of four (4) years related human resources experience some of which could include transferable skills such as supervisory or management experience.
- Pay Band 3: A bachelor's degree in a related field and a minimum of three (3) years of related human resources experience some of which could include transferable skills such as supervisory or management experience OR a two (2) year post-secondary diploma in a related field with a minimum of five (5) years related human resources experience some of which could include transferable skills such as supervisory or management experience.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Preference may be given to candidates that demonstrate CHRP designation (Certified Human Resources Professional).
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
This position may require some travel within the province.
Written and spoken competence in English and French is required. Please state your language capability.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration.
- Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
- Please ensure that your preferred language of assessment is identified in your resume.
- Client Service Orientation;
- Effective Interactive Communication;
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment;
- Impact and Influence;
- Relationship / Network Building;
- Results Orientation;
- Teamwork and Cooperation.
- Knowledge of Interviewing and Assessment Techniques;
- Knowledge of Applicable Legislation and the Department's Policies and Procedures;
- Human Resources Management;
- Planning and Organizing Skills;
- Consulting Skills.
Pay Band 4: $1,938 to $2,708 bi-weekly, based on 36.25 hours per week
Pay Band 3: $1,765 to $2,465 bi-weekly, based on 36.25 hours per week
The Department of Environment and Local Government Offers
- Comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, optional health and dental plans, Life Insurance, and participation in the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan;
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Free Parking and recreational trails. (at Marysville Place)
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services
- 1 paid Volunteer Day per year to give back to your community;
- A departmental social committee; and
- A fitness facility (at Marysville Place) for employees at low cost.
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health & safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health & safety.
How to apply?
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, we encourage applicants to apply on-line at: https://www.ere.gnb.ca or by email to HR-RH.ELG-EGL@gnb.ca by November 30, 2021 indicating competition number 80-21-013. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Environment and
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.