Correctional Officer I-II
Any candidate not currently employed in the New Brunswick Public Service will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, or a valid medical certificate exempting them from the vaccine.
Correctional Officer I-II
Department of Justice & Public Safety
Who we are
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of
New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Department of Justice and Public Safety is seeking individuals to join the Corrections Branch as casual Correctional Officers in Provincial Correctional Facilities located in Miramichi, Shediac, Saint John, Saint Hilaire, Dalhousie and Fredericton.
The Department of Justice and Public Safety wishes to establish an inventory of qualified candidates to fill casual Correctional Officer positions throughout our regional correctional institutions. Applicants must note on their applications the location(s) for which they wish to be considered.
What you will do
As a Peace Officers and members of the Correction Officers team, the successful candidates will be responsible for the custody and supervision of offenders, enforcing provincial and institutional policies and procedures, preparing incident reports and participating in the development and delivery of offender programs and case management. The use of a computerized system is an integral part of the daily activities.
Who you are
You are open to new challenges, solution-oriented and able to work within a fast-paced team environment. You treat people in a polite and professional manner being courteous and always showing kindness. You enjoy being part of a collaborative team working towards common goals. You are concerned for the safety and wellbeing of New Brunswickers.
Your attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of study. We are looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
Behavioral competencies: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioural competencies:
- Teamwork and cooperation,
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Self-Control and Stamina
- Client Service Orientation
- Organizational Commitment
Need to have (their essential skills and qualifications)
- Successful completion of post-secondary education relating to Corrections, Social Sciences, Law Enforcement/Policing or a related field.
- A minimum of three months experience as a Correctional Officer.
- Certificate of successful completion with regard to the qualifications must accompany the employment application.
- Education, certifications, designations, years of experience, etc.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Written and spoken competence in English or French is required for some opportunities; written and spoken competency in English is required for others. Please state your language capability.
Candidates must demonstrate on their applications how they have acquired the education and experience for this position. Your résumé should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: The following operational requirement(s) is also required:
- Shift Work: nights, days & weekends
- Successful candidates will undergo a criminal history clearance as well as a security clearance.
- Candidates may be required to complete the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2 questionnaire and a Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (P.A.R.E.).
- Candidates must possess and present a valid NB Driver's license, a valid First Aid certificate, and a valid Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation certificate.
PLEASE NOTE As of Sept 7, 2021, any candidate not currently employed in the New Brunswick Public Service will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (or a valid medical certificate exempting them from the vaccine) in order to receive a job offer.
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
$24.53 (starting) - $30.08 Hourly
What can GNB offer you?
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services.
- Comprehensive benefits package and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health & safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health & Safety.
How to apply
We encourage applicants to apply on-line at www.ere.gnb.ca, by mail at the following address or by email at of HRcompetitions.concoursRH@gnb.ca by indicating 21-78-200 - Correctional Officer I-II.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Justice and Public Safety
Human Resources Branch
Marysville Place - 20 McGloin Street, 3rd floor
Fredericton, NB E3A 5T8
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.