Supervisor, Project/Contract Services
Who We Are
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
Our Sudbury Operations have been in existence for more than 100 years. With five mines, a mill, a smelter, a refinery and nearly 4,000 employees it is also one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world. Sudbury is also home to several administrative sites serving both the Ontario Operations as well as all our North Atlantic Operations.
Port Colborne is home to our Nickel Refinery where raw materials from our Sudbury operations are processed into electrocobalt and precious metals and serves as a distribution centre for finished nickel products.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We are currently seeking a Supervisor, Project/Service Contract to join our Project & Shut Down Delivery team in Sudbury, Ontario, to ensure Project Control systems are in place with respect to monitoring the status of the project in the areas of cost and schedule. The individual will have direct reports providing cost control, scheduling, estimating and planning functions. They will lead in the management of the Detailed Engineering Services with respect to monitoring of the status of their engineering deliverables using earned value management. The successful candidate will also manage the Interface between the Vale Systems for reporting and any services provider's system as part of the Integrated Team. This is a permanent position reporting to the IAM Business Support Superintendent.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Lead the management of the Project Controls on the Engineering and Execution Contracts (Includes Change Management &Trending, Forecasting, Physical Progress Management and Earned Value Management)
- Review/Manage Project Controls tools including resource & physical progress measurement and performance assessment systems; and efficiently integrate with existing Vale systems.
- Review/Manage the Project cost/cash budgets & forecasts.
- Lead and actively challenge, contract deliverables, schedules and progress from all vendors.
- Review/Manage and control Project cost/cash budget performance (Key Project Performance Indicators: PF, SPI, CPI) and report on variances.
- Review/Manage and report on key project KPI's
- Lead and Manage Interface with the North Atlantic Finance Department with regards to any variances with actuals, plans and forecasts. (Assist with APC's & Funding Letters).
- Identify, validate and recommend remedies on project change and lead "out of scope" issue resolution, to the Senior Project Manager.
- Lead and develop the annual IBS Submissions for the Five Year Capital Planning Process.
- Manage interface with the Company business systems (SAP/PRISM/ Primavera P6, Project Navigator, Project Tracking System)
- Supervise the preparation of the Cost/ Cash & Schedule content for the Monthly Management Committee and Steering Committee Presentations.
- Supervise and Lead the Development and maintenance of the Project Organizational Chart and Manpower Loading Plans for the Project.
- Report on Progress and Performance. Poor Performance is explained along with a description of any recommended project recovery plan that will be implemented.
- Supervise and Lead the Monitoring and Evaluation of SAP Reports for monthly Cost/Cash Reporting and update the SAP forecast on a monthly basis.
- Lead the Coordination of the collection of information and preparation of the Monthly Reports.
- Lead/Establish and cultivate internal and external business relationships.
- Manage the preparation of the Capital Estimate, Baseline Schedule and Contract Management deliverables of the Engineering Provider.
- Liaison with the Engineering Project Manager, Engineering Manager on various aspects of the study scope.
- Monitor and report on the Contract Award Process and liaison with Procurement through the Contract Award Process (Issue for Tendor, Bid Clarifications, Site Visit's, Technical Reviews and Issuance of the final Purchase Order).
- Review and Analyze the Capital Estimate in Power BI.
- Preparation an analysis of the capital studies (FEL 2 vs. FEL 3).
- Lead the preparation of Tollgate review material and responsible for the content of the Project Controls Functional Areas (Capital Estimate (CAPEX), Operating Estimate (OPEX), Sustaining Capital (SUSEX) and the Execution Schedule)
Job titles reporting into this position:
- Project Control Coordinators
- The ideal candidate will possess an undergraduate degree
- Project Management Professional (PMP) completed or in progress (required)
- The ideal candidate will be a certified P.Eng. (Professional Engineer) or Finance/Commerce degree
- A minimum of 8 years of progressive relevant experience in:
- Working on major Capital Projects
- Project Management and Project Controls concepts including estimating, cost/cash, scheduling and earned value management
- Mining & construction processes and procedures
- Use of SAP, MS PowerPoint, Excel, Power BI
- Managing relationships with a diverse range of professionals in a mining & construction atmosphere
How can Vale grow your career?
In addition to the responsibilities and career opportunities this role will provide, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Participation in our Employee Family Assistance Program
- Online leadership training opportunities
- Opportunities to advise and oversee the design, budget and construction of new mines and expansions
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Deadline to Apply: November 30th, 2021