Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Public Safety Communications & Safety Services
Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Salary: Level 8
$2486.20 - $3107.75 + BSA
Management Salary Scale
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Public Safety Communications & Safety Services, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer is responsible for all matters related to the enforcement of municipal bylaws and for the maintenance and accuracy of all associated files. The position is responsible for identifying enforcement issues, developing plans to address and resolve these issues, and responds to complaints related to bylaw violations within the City of Fredericton boundaries. The work involves extensive public contact and community liaison requiring exercise of sound judgement, independent action, and considerable tact and diplomacy within the framework of established policies, bylaws and regulations.
- administer, enforce and mediate disputes pertaining to Bylaws, Acts, regulations and policies.
- perform field investigations, obtain compliance, issue Orders and Notices and serve legal documents, in compliance with standard legal proceedings.
- investigates complaints from citizens, City departments, City Council and other government agencies with respect to alleged infractions of the City's bylaws and determines appropriate action to gain compliance through negotiation, ticketing, or referral for further action
- compile and prepare evidence for court actions, and attend court on behalf of the municipality
- coordinate the cleanup of unsightly premises
- administer the Taxi Bylaw, including training, licensing, coordination and enforcement activities
- attend public education events
Education and Experience:
Successful completion of a program in a related discipline such as Engineering Technology, Planning, Justice Preparatory Program, Police Science or equal, with eligibility for pertinent certifications, and minimum two years of related experience in Municipal Law Enforcement, Police Enforcement, or Property Standards.
Knowledge and Desired Skills:
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate strong collaborative working relationships;
- critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- understanding of Municipal Bylaws and their supportive legislation and enforcement techniques
- able to exercise good judgment, discretion, self-control and confidentiality in resolving confrontational situations
- Able to objectively investigate cases, collect evidence, analyze information and present findings
- anticipates issues and opportunities and proactively responds
- skilled in verbal communication & public speaking
- able to work in all weather conditions, with irregular hours at times including evenings weekends
- will require criminal records check and designation by City Council as a Bylaw Enforcement Officer
- valid Class 5 NB driver's license, and a demonstrated safe and responsible driving record
- ability to communicate in both official languages will be considered an asset.
Interested individuals may apply in writing to hr@fredericton by 4:30 pm on October 21, 2021
All interviews will take place virtually via Microsoft Teams
The City of Fredericton is an equal opportunity employer.
Only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.