Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
PLEASE NOTE As of Sept 7, 2021:
Any candidate not currently employed in the New Brunswick Public Service will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (or a valid medical certificate exempting them from the vaccine) within 45 calendar days of their commencement date otherwise their employment will cease.
Who we are
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Educational Services Division (Anglophone Sector), of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, is seeking an Instructional Designer. Reporting to the Design Team Lead, the successful candidate will work as part of an online learning product development team; primarily designing online courseware for high school and professional learning programs.
What you will do
The successful candidate will be expected to work collaboratively with other members of the Educational Services Division.
Using Microsoft Office and other software, and in collaboration with subject matter experts, the successful candidate will determine how online course participant skills will be developed and assessed. This includes responsibility for creating comprehensive storyboards which incorporate the content, instruction, interaction, technical, and visual considerations of best instruction strategies, including the principles of universal design for learning. The successful candidate will also write or edit materials such as course content, brochures, pamphlets, posters, booklets, and reports.
- Standard hours of work: Monday - Friday, 8:15-4:30.
- We promote a scent-reduced environment.
Who you are
You have a strong desire to understand client needs and provide options to for collaborative success. You possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to problem-solve creatively and to think on your feet. You are flexible in a fast-paced environment, responding to changeable client needs. You treat people in a polite and professional manner, always showing kindness. You understand the interconnectedness of the skills of all team members for delivering the best possible product and are open to incorporating the knowledge and experience of others into your work.
Your attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of study. We are looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
Need to have
- Bachelor's degree in Education;
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience as an instructional designer;
- Experience with designing instruction for deployment in online learning management systems, such as Desire2Learn;
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
Nice to Have
- experience leading online learning projects;
- experience with designing instruction for deployment in online learning management systems, such as Desire2Learn;
- experience teaching the New Brunswick high school curriculum;
- experience with rapid authoring software, such as Articulate Storyline;
- written French competence;
- a portfolio of previous work would also be an asset.
Behavioral Competencies: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioural competencies:
- Creative Thinking/Innovation;
- Results Orientation;
- Effective Interactive Communication;
- Teamwork & Cooperation.
Technical Competencies: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Written Communication;
- Ability to use Office Technology, Software and Applications.
$1,829 - $2,695 Biweekly (Pay Band 4)
What can GNB offer you?
- Comprehensive benefits package and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services.
- 1 paid Volunteer Day per year to give back to your community.
- 1.25 days/month of paid vacation.
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health & safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health & Safety.
How to apply:
We encourage applicants to apply on-line at www.ere.gnb.ca, by mail at the following address or by email at HR.Competitions@gnb.ca by October 21, 2021 indicating competition number 21-2000-C21. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Human Resource Services
Place 2000, 250 King Street
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Telephone: (506) 444-4909
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.