Family Law Services/Public Trustee Services
The New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission (NBLASC) is seeking an individual to join the Public Trustee and Family Law Services Branch in Fredericton as a Lawyer.
Who we are:
The NBLASC provides legal assistance to low-income individuals and is a crucial part of a fair and equitable justice system. We are committed to access to justice and we advocate for our clients' rights.
Family Law Services provides legal advice and legal representation to eligible individuals on family law matters.
The Public Trustee Branch provides legal advice and services related to Applications to Court for Committee orders for clients deemed incapable of managing their affairs and also to apply to the Court for Letters Probate / Letters of Administration in Estate matters.
What you will do:
Reporting to the Public Trustee/Director of Family Law Services, you will deliver professional lawyer services. Your responsibilities will include:
- preparing legal advice/documents in respect of custody, access, restraining orders, spousal support, and child support as provided under the available scope of services within the New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission (Family Law services); and
- preparing legal advice/documents in respect to obtaining Committee orders under the Infirm Persons Act and/or Orders pursuant to the Probate Court Act and such other legal services required under the mandate of the Public Trustee Act;
- preparing affidavits and briefs;
- interviewing witnesses;
- meeting with clients;
- attending court;
- researching points of law; and
- completing other duties as assigned.
Need to have (Essential qualifications and skills):
- Bachelor of Law Degree
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of New Brunswick
- Completion of Articling
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
Candidates with less than 5.5 years of membership at the bar will typically be considered as Lawyer level I. Candidates with more than 5.5 years, but less than 10 years of membership at the bar will typically be considered as Lawyer level II.
PLEASE NOTE: As of September 7, 2021, any candidate not currently employed in the New Brunswick Public Service will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (or a valid medical certificate exempting them from the vaccine) within 45 calendar days of their commencement date otherwise their employment will cease.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
Nice to have (Asset qualifications):
- Experience with Federal and Provincial legislation regarding NBLASC family and Public Trustee law services (e.g. the Legal Aid Act, Family Services Act, Family Law Act, Divorce Act, Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, Public Trustee Act, Probate Court Act, Infirm Persons' Act, Devolution of Estates Act, and the Rules of Court of New Brunswick);
- Written and spoken competence in French;
- High proficiency in office technology and MS Suite.
Who you are
You possess the following competencies:
- Analytical Thinking/Judgement;
- Impact and Influence;
- Client Service Orientation;
- Effective Interactive Communication;
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with skill level and experience:
$1,804 - $2,676 biweekly - NBLASC Lawyer Series pay plan Level I
$2,801- $3,779 biweekly - NBLASC Lawyer Series pay plan Level II
What can NBLASC offer you?
- Comprehensive benefits package including various leave provisions and the New Brunswick Public Service Pension Plan
- Access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Paid Vacation benefits
Applicants interested in this opportunity must send their resume by October 29, 2021 to:
New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission
Att: Human Resources
LAWYER-FAMILY LAW AND PUBLIC TRUSTEE, FREDERICTON
500 Beaverbrook Court Suite 501
Fredericton, NB, E3B 5X4
Or by email: HR-NBLASC.RH-CSAJNB@GNB.CA
*State "Lawyer-Family Law and Public Trustee, Fredericton" in your email.
Note: This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!
Let's Connect. You belong here.