Any candidate not currently employed in the New Brunswick Public Service will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, or a valid medical exemption, exempting them from the vaccine, within forty-five (45) calendar days of their commencement date otherwise their employment will cease.
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Operations Worker III
Open Casual Expression of Interest
(On-Call - from November to April)
Saint John District
Who we are?
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure's mission is to contribute to New Brunswick's economy and quality of life by providing and supporting sustainable infrastructure that allows for the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and government services to the public. Not only is the department responsible for managing over 18,000 kilometers of provincial highways, it also manages the planning, design and construction of hospitals, schools and other government buildings.
The Saint John District is a part of six (6) district offices that delivers programs for the maintenance and construction of bridges, highways and ferries.
What you will do?
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure is seeking individuals to create an inventory for existing and future casual snowfighter opportunities in the Highway Maintenance crews within the Saint John District during winter operations. The Saint John District includes divisions in Havelock, Sussex, Kierstead Mountain, Springfield, Upham, Loch Lomond, Moss Glen, Woodman's Point, Musquash, Chamcook, Grand Manan, Deer Island, Campobello, St. George, Rollingdam and St. Stephen.
As an Operations Worker III, you will work under the direction of the Highway Supervisor and be responsible for:
Perform skilled duties in the construction and maintenance of highways.
Safe and efficient operation of a variety of heavy equipment, including a one-person plow during winter operations as requested, per the procedures set by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure.
Performing normal maintenance and minor repairs on assigned equipment, preparing and maintaining work records on the operation of the assigned equipment.
Ensure roads are safe for public use through plowing and placing sand and salt on roads.
- Office location: Various locations
- Work holidays, weekends, shift and/or variable hours
- May work in adverse road and weather conditions
- We promote a scent-reduced environment
Who you are?
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Results Orientation
- Concern for Order
- Completion of grade ten (10) and a minimum of three (3) years' experience in the operation of heavy construction equipment.
- Possession of a valid New Brunswick Class 3 driver's license with endorsement for air brakes is also required.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
Please attach a copy of your driver's license with your application.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration.
- Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
- Please ensure that your preferred language of assessment is identified in your resume.
- Any candidate not currently employed in the New Brunswick Public Service will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, or a valid medical exemption.
Appointment to these positions will be restricted to local area residents.
Preference may be given to candidates that are One Person Plow certified. Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application the asset qualification in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure offers:
- Meaningful work and the opportunity to support New Brunswickers in times of need.
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, Health and Dental Plan, Life Insurance, and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services.
SALARY: $20.30 per hour, based on 40 hours per week
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health and safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health and safety.
How to apply?
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by e-mail to District4Competitions@gnb.ca or by mail at the following address indicating "Open Casual Expression of Interest (On Call). This opportunity will be open until filled.
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
District 4 - Saint John
50 Crown Street, Suite 105
Saint John, NB E2L 2X6
Telephone: (506) 643-7463
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.