Community Development Officer – Community Recreation
Job # P956
CLOSING DATE: NOON - SEPTEMBER 23, 2021
Responsible for the facilitation of community-based programs and services with respect to community recreation. Areas of emphasis will include provision of services and facilitation with youth and seniors groups as well as neighborhood development and other community non-profit organizations. The position will be the central liaison position for various groups in the City with respect to general community recreation.
This position reports directly to the Director of Recreation Services.
· University degree in the area of Recreation, Kinesiology or Physical Education
· Practical work experience of a minimum of three (3) years in the area of recreation administration. Related experience to include experience in facilitation with a community development focus.
· The successful candidate must be familiar with the recreation community of the Moncton area and be familiar with organizational development concepts and short and long term planning principles.
· The successful candidate must have public speaking abilities as well as competence to organize and conduct public meetings and various consultation's independently.
· The successful candidate must be self-motivated and show capability in program coordination and administration as well as strong abilities with respect to facilitation skills and strategic planning.
· English essential. The ability to communicate in both official languages would be an asset, but not a requirement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Must be knowledgeable of the New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Act
· The successful candidate will be familiar with the recreation community as well as the social culture of the Greater Moncton area.
· The successful candidate must have the ability to use a personal computer and the following programs: Microsoft Word, Access, and Power Point.
· The position requires strong communication skills both written and oral, self-motivation, good organizational skills and an ability to work in a team environment.
· Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
· Requires internal and significant external contact. The candidate must be able to communicate in an effective, professional manner. The incumbent initiates and maintains contacts with the appropriate community organizations relative to facilitating their needs. Contacts also include relevant Provincial and national associations.
· The incumbent must be able to devise courses of action to solve problems. They must also be able to manage multiple assignments at one time. Duties with respect to community development will involve the ability to provide advice and direction to community based organizations within a community development model approach.
· This position includes supervision and training of volunteers, volunteer groups, summer students, part-time casual staff or contract staff. Also has direct responsibility for the management of contracts negotiated.
CONDITIONS OF WORK:
· Requires high level of concentration and attention to detail.
· Position involves variable hours, given the special population area of responsibility frequent weekend and evening work are required with this position as well as some travel.
Work With Us
WORKING AT THE CITY OF MONCTON:
Moncton is a vibrant and culturally rich community. It is the only officially bilingual city in Canada, as well as one of the best places in Canada to do business. Moncton is also known as the economic, sports, tourism and entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada. City of Moncton employees strive to maintain the city's reputation as one of the best places in Canada to live, study, work and play.
This position is a unionized position. The City of Moncton offers an attractive salary and benefits package in accordance to the City Hall Employees Association / PSAC Local 60200 Collective Agreement.
APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION:
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must submit their application through an online system that can be found at www.moncton.ca/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those invited for interviews will be contacted.
For more information, please contact the Human Resources Department at
506-877-7707 or visit www.moncton.ca/careers for information on the hiring and application process at the City of Moncton.
A city that inspires
Working together to grow our economy and enhance the quality of life for all citizens
Sustainable, Diverse, Creative, Engaged, Leaders
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOURS:
Accountability, professionalism, respect, and excellence.