Hansard Office, Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick
Casual Employment, Open Competition
The Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick is seeking an individual to join the Hansard Office team as a French-language transcriber-editor.
The successful candidate will produce, from audio recordings, edited and researched French-language transcripts of the sittings and committee meetings of the Legislative Assembly.
The responsibilities of the transcriber-editor include but are not limited to the following:
- Transcribing French extemporaneous speech while correcting grammar and structure;
- Editing French transcripts by correcting grammatical and syntactical errors, deleting redundancies, and ensuring the use of in-house style for punctuation and format;
- Conducting research to verify proper names, document titles, quotations, terminology, and other transcript content that requires confirmation;
- Carrying out administrative tasks as assigned, such as recordkeeping and digitizing.
- University degree and a minimum of three years of related work experience;
- Accurate touch-typing and transcribing skills, above 60 words per minute;
- Listening comprehension skills to accurately convert speech to text;
- Superior knowledge of French grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation;
- Strong editing, research, and proofreading ability, with a highly developed attention to detail;
- Solid skills in Microsoft Office and a capacity for learning new software;
- Ability to achieve production goals and meet deadlines while producing quality transcripts;
- Exceptional commitment to teamwork, service, and adaptability.
Written and spoken competence in French and English is required. Please state your language capability on your application. Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that the preferred language of assessment is identified on your résumé.
There are extended and sometimes unpredictable work hours during Legislature sittings and committee meetings, to 6 p.m. or 10 p.m.
Salary: $22.60 - $24.85 per hour, depending on education and work experience.
Applications must be received no later than Tuesday, September 28, 2021. Please submit a detailed cover letter and a résumé indicating how the qualifications for this position have been acquired. Résumés should specify education and employment in months and years, including both part-time and full-time employment. Applicants may apply by email to LEGHR-RH@gnb.ca or by mail to the address below, indicating the competition number: OLA-HAN-2021-01:
Finance and Human Resources Office
Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick
P.O. Box 6000, Parliament Square
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Testing will form part of the selection process. While all applicants are thanked for their interest in obtaining employment at the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick, only those selected for testing will be contacted.