The Shaw Group is one of Eastern Canada's leading natural resource manufacturers and community developers. With a specialty in products for the construction industry, they serve a variety of market sectors and produce close to 1,000 individual products in 12 facilities across the Maritimes. Operating on a decentralized basis through a number of divisions and subsidiaries to provide the best service for their clients, Shaw puts a strong focus on providing a work environment that recognizes individual and team achievements. Committed to making a positive contribution to the communities and regions they operate in, their market has grown to include all of North America and they export product all over the world.
We are currently looking for an experienced Safety Officer to join our Real Estate Division in Clayton Park, NS.
As the Safety Officer, you will be responsible for ensuring the knowledge of and continued compliance with the Health and Safety management systems for The Shaw Group, under the guidance of the Vice President of Construction. The Safety Officer is also responsible for promoting all aspects of H&S throughout residential and multi-residential construction sites, communicating with trades and sub trades with respect to Health and Safety and providing related support to front line supervisors. The focus of this role is ensuring worksite compliance to legislative and corporate safety rules and promotion of continuous safety improvement to build a culture where everyone goes home safe at the end of the day.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Perform daily worksite visits and job site inspections
- Liaise with subcontractors, attend safety meetings and deliver safety orientations and presentations
- Organize and conduct training programs
- Actively participate and help promote effective JOHS committee meetings
- Monitor employees and subcontractors on-site to ensure compliance to safety procedures and escalate issues to resolution
- Proactively identify and prevent hazardous situations and take necessary measures to correct them
- Ensure the continuous improvement of proactive safety culture through promotion of Hazard ID/Near Miss Program and other leading indicator opportunities.
- Minimum of 3-7 years of experience in managing health and safety within the construction industry
- Demonstrated understanding and application of H&S principles and programs
- Proficient in the use of business computer programs
- Highly effective communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work independently/self-starter
- Experience interpreting and ensuring compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations working on a large-scale construction site
- College degree or post-secondary education in OH&S (certificate or Diploma) National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) designation considered an asset
- Willing to travel within Atlantic Canada
- Valid driver's license
To express interest in this opportunity, please direct your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org