Home Hardware Stores Limited is Canada's largest independent home improvement retailer. The company is owned by close to 1,100 independent small business operators from every corner of Canada, who operate under one of four banners: Home Hardware, Home Hardware Building Centre, Home Building Centre and Home Furniture.
Our Client is searching for a General Manager to run a brand-new Home Hardware Building Centre location opening in Paradise, NL!
They are looking for someone who has direct General Manager experience in building supply retail to kick-off the new location and scale it for future growth.
The General Manager manages all store operations, including maintenance & security of facilities, inventory control, merchandising, sales & profitability, cost containment and provides leadership to store management and staff.
- Maximize store sales & profit; track daily sales and compare them to projected sales.
- Develop short and long-term store business plan; set & track the sales objectives and bonus targets for the team.
- Review and suggest new product, team structure or operational hour changes to the owners to improve the effectiveness or efficiency of the store.
- Understand store traffic patterns and make recommendations to Management team to staff accordingly and give input into the setup and display of product within the store & yard.
- Monitor & control the operational budget.
- Lead store operations within the specific guidelines of current company policy and implement all policies, procedures, and objectives as determined by the Owners.
- Analyze internal and external changes that affect the current and future store operations and forecast and/or recommend changes or adjustments.
- Use available information systems to analyze historical and current customer purchasing trends.
- Work with store management to ensure cash reports and deposits balance daily and investigate any cash shortages or shrinkage concerns.
- Keep abreast of the competition in geographical market area; communicate findings to the Owners and staff and adjust our goals & strategies as required.
- Conduct management and team meetings, to discuss problems, review operational objectives, and recognize and celebrate achievements.
- Foster an environment that encourages high employee productivity and team morale.
- Ensure that all staff maintains the knowledge and skills necessary to provide exceptional customer service and to maximize sales, with particular attention to add-on sales opportunities.
- Recognize and reward employees who provide exceptional customer service and/or demonstrate excellent skills.
- Be present daily on the sales floor & in the yard and remove staff barriers to delivering exceptional customer service.
- Partner with Human Resources to interview & select staff both internally & externally.
- Lead, motivate & retain Store Management team and ensure the performance of team- conducting annual performance management interviews and providing regular constructive feedback and coaching in order to achieve departmental and individual developmental objectives.
- Manage the training & development, succession planning of management team.
- Coach the management team on the leadership of their indirect reports.
- Handle escalated customer complaints, disputes, or team conflicts.
- Ensure the safety & security of the premises.
- Prepare reports using the Profit Master system on business indicators (i.e. inventory control, sales, price over-rides etc.) and report on department activities.
- Participate and represent the store in local community events and recommend charitable donations to the Owners.
- Represent the company through local building/construction organizations such as the CHBA (Canadian Home Builders Association).
- Ensure the implementation and management of company Health and Safety program.
- Ensure strong participation and promotion of Home Hardware advertising program (flyers, catalogues, website, etc.).
- Other duties and projects as assigned by the Owners.
- 5+ years' experience in building supply retail management
- 2-3 years General Manager/Store dealer experience
- Excellent knowledge and experience with contractors & rapport building activities.
- Contracts Sales, Retail Sales, Installations Sales, and/or Yard operations background.
- Familiarity with another inventory management or information system.
Opportunities and Attractions
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate including a competitive base salary and defined bonus program.
Contact Cheryl Slaney, Senior Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
We embrace diversity. Individuals that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.