Highway Maintenance Technician
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Engineering and Field Level VI-VII
(Highway Maintenance Technician)
Saint John District
One (1) Regular Position
Who we are?
The work we do has a positive impact on our communities and helps improve the everyday lives of New Brunswickers. Together, we are over 45,000 New Brunswickers who are passionate problem-solvers, who make a difference and are proud to call New Brunswick home.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure's mission is to contribute to New Brunswick's economy and quality of life by providing and supporting sustainable infrastructure that allows for the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and government services to the public. Not only is the department responsible for managing over 18,000 kilometers of provincial highways, it also manages the planning, design and construction of hospitals, schools and other government buildings.
What will you do?
The Saint John District includes divisions in Havelock, Sussex, Upham, Springfield, Loch Lomond, Moss Glen, Woodman's Point, St. George, St. Stephen, Rollingdam, Grand Manan and Campobello Island.
As a member of the Highway Maintenance Team, the successful candidate will be required to handle a variety of technical duties in the maintenance operations within the District. The primary responsibilities assigned to this position are as follows:
- Maintain an updated list of vehicle assignments/ asset usage /asset billing periods in OMS (Operations Management System);
- Maintain a GIS (Geographic Information System) database at the project level (winter levels of service, plow routes, commercial advertisements, etc.);
- Perform the duties of the AVL (Automotive Vehicle Location) Coordinator;
- Evaluate and process Access/setback requests other than residential accesses on local and collector highways;
- Perform the duties of the Road Report Coordinator;
- Investigate and respond to various requests from the Property Services Branch;
- Various audits throughout the District;
- Evaluate Large Building Move requests;
- Evaluate and process Commercial Advertisement Permit requests and enforce the Commercial Advertisement Regulation.
- Assist in the preparation and administration of short form contracts within the District.
- Provide support to the District in delivery of the ordinary and capital programs.
- Office location: 50 Crown Street, Saint John with field work as required
- Work in adverse road and weather conditions
- We promote a scent-reduced environment
Who you are?
- Developing Others
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment
- Results Orientation
- Concern for Order
Engineering and Field level VII: Graduation from a recognized two (2) year Civil Engineering Technology Program with six (6) years of progressively responsible related work experience and one (1) year of supervisory experience. Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office Suite and GIS applications is required.
If there are no applicants with the above essential qualifications, we may select someone at the following lower classification.
Engineering and Field level VI: Graduation from a recognized two (2) year Civil Engineering Technology Program and five (5) years of progressively responsible related work experience. Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office Suite Software and GIS applications is required.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability.
Preference may be given to candidates that demonstrate a background in auditing and mapping software. Subject to the response to this letter of interest, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
The successful candidates will possess the following technical competencies:
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Procedures;
- Knowledge of Conflict Management Practices;
- Project Management;
- Ability to Use Office Technology, Software and
- Planning and Organizing Skills;
- Presentation Skills;
- Written Communication
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure offers:
- Meaningful work and the opportunity to support New Brunswickers in times of need.
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, Health and Dental Plan, Life Insurance, and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services.
Engineering and Field level VII: $2,145.00 to $2,705.00 bi-weekly (based on a 36 ¼ hour work week).
Engineering and Field level VI: $ 1,960.00 to $ 2,465.00 bi-weekly (based on a 36 ¼ hour work week).
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health & safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your Health & Safety.
How to apply?
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration.
- Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
- Please ensure that your preferred language of assessment is identified in your resume.
Please attach a copy of your driver's license with your application.
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by e-mail to District4.email@example.com or by mail at the following address by January 26, 2021 indicating competition number R40-2020/21-976. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
District 04 - Saint John
50 Crown Street, Suite 105
Saint John, NB E2L 2X6
Telephone: (506) 643-7463
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.