Junior, Intermediate, or Senior Parliamentary Translator
JUNIOR, INTERMEDIATE, OR SENIOR PARLIAMENTARY TRANSLATOR
SALARY RANGES: $44,954 - $78,962
The Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick is creating an eligibility list of qualified individuals for an immediate vacancy for a translator at Debates Translation, in Fredericton. The mandate of Debates Translation is to translate House proceedings, speeches, and other related parliamentary documents in accordance with the highest professional standards.
The successful candidate will qualify at one of three levels, based on competencies and experience:
JUNIOR TRANSLATOR: Junior translators deliver high quality translation services, concentrating on progressive refinement of skills.
INTERMEDIATE TRANSLATOR: Intermediate translators deliver high quality translation services and revise translated texts, concentrating on progressive refinement of skills.
SENIOR TRANSLATOR: Senior translators deliver high quality translation of complex documents without revision, revise translated texts, advise junior and intermediate translators, and perform various specialized tasks.
Applicants must demonstrate on their applications that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates.
- A university degree in translation or a related field. Related fields include, but are not limited to, French language and literature, comparative literature taught in both official languages, and French language. Preference will be given to applicants with a degree in translation.
- Professional certification in English to French translation would be an asset.
- Junior translator: Experience in French to English translation would be an asset.
- Intermediate translator: A minimum of two years of experience in English to French translation.
- Experience in French to English translation would be an asset.
- Senior translator: A minimum of five years of experience in English to French translation. Experience in French to English translation would be an asset.
- Advanced to superior proficiency in spoken and written French and English
- Applicants will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
The successful candidate will possess the following behavioural competencies:
- analytical thinking
- commitment to learning
- information seeking
- developing others (for senior translator position)
- client service orientation
The successful candidate will possess the following technical competency:
- ability to use office technology, software, and applications.
Experience with using a translation memory such as Trados would be an asset.
Only candidates who meet the screening criteria will be contacted and will be required to write an online exam to assess their competencies.
Junior translator, pay band 3: $44,954 - $62,842
Intermediate translator, pay band 4: $49,374 - $69,056
Senior translator, pay band 5: $56,524 - $78,962
Conditions of employment
This is a continuing full-time position. Extra working hours are required during the legislative session, which lasts, on average, for 50 sitting days each year.
Applications, specifying competition number OLA-DEB-2020-02, must be received NO LATER THAN December 2, 2020. Please specify the position for which you are applying. Applicants can apply online at www.ere.gnb.ca, by email to LEGHR-RH@gnb.ca, or by mail at the following address:
Finance and Human Resources
Office of the Clerk
Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick
P.O. Box 6000
We thank all those who apply. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.