Registered Nurse, Emergency Department
Req ID: 4009
Location: Eastern Zone, Cape Breton Regional Hospital
Department: 3000592 EMG Emergency CBR
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 8 position(s)
Union Status: Nursing Bargaining Unit - NSNU
Posting Closing Date: 31-Aug-19
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Come live and work on beautiful Cape Breton Island - https://www.cbisland.com/
The Cape Breton Regional Hospital serves the city of Sydney, Nova Scotia and it's immediate surrounding area as a primary and secondary care facility. This department handles approximately 45,000 patient visits per year; with 2/3 a visit being CTAS level 1-3, and accepts pediatric and adult emergencies. We serve as the trauma referral center for the Cape Breton area, with access to most specialties . Department core staff consists of Physicians, RN's, Clerical, Environmental Services, Porters, Continuing Care Assistants, Social Work, OT/PT as well as a large multidisciplinary team within the zone. There is 24/7 access to Lab, D.I. and RT.
Reporting to the Manager, Emergency Services, the Registered Nurse works as part of an interdisciplinary team and is responsible for providing care to a diverse patient population. He/she will have patient experiences across the spectrum of presentations. The successful applicant must contribute to creating a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff and others.
The Registered Nurse practices within the Nova Scotia College of Nurses Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Nurses and the Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics. The RN will demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice and demonstrate ongoing commitment to maintaining appropriate clinical competencies required through educational sessions with clinical nurse educator, self- directed study, simulation, etc.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program
- Registered or eligible for licensure with the Nova Scotia College of Nurses (NSCN)
- Previous experience in an Emergency Department
- BLS-C (Basic Life Support - C)
- Required or must obtain within 1- 2 years of hire (depending on course availability and operational requirements) :
- CTAS (Canadian Triage and Acuity Scale)
- EPICC - Foundations (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care - Canada)
- ACLS - Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
- PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support); EPICC - Pediatrics (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care - Canada) or ENPC (Emergency Nurses Pediatric Course)
- Trauma course - EPICC - Trauma (Emergency Practice, Interventions and Care - Canada) or TNCC (Trauma Nursing Core Course)
- Emergency Nursing Program or Critical Care Nursing Program
- Where there are no applicants who meet the above qualifications, consideration may be given to applicants who agree to complete further training within two years' of hire date
- Two years acute care experience an asset
- ENC© Certification an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to interact positively with patients/residents, families, other health care provide and staff while demonstrating sensitivity, empathy and warmth
- Ability to demonstrate sound decision-making skills in emergency situations and be accountable for decisions
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practices and organizational health
- Basic computer skills
- Physical and mental capabilities to perform duties of the position
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Please Note: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Hours of Work
- Permanent Full Time and Part Time positions available; up to 75 hours bi-weekly
- Rotating 12 hour shifts including days, nights, weekends and holidays
- Successful applicants may be required to work at various locations within the Cape Breton Regional Municipality including the Glace Bay Healthcare Complex & Northside General Hospital
$34.3461 - $40.4660 hourly
$41.8822 hourly with 25 years' nursing experience
Based on qualifying criteria, successful applicants may be eligible for up to a $5,000 signing bonus for two years return of service. Successful candidates may also be eligible for up to $2,500 if relocating from within Nova Scotia and up to $5,000 if relocating from outside of Nova Scotia.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualifications
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on timeliness of delivering the above.
This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for Unionized positions.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are: Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Job Segment: Nursing, Clerical, Pediatric, Registered Nurse, Medical, Healthcare, Administrative