Utility 6 – Arborist – Casual
Parks and Leisure Services - Parks and Grounds
Job # C448
Moncton is a vibrant and culturally rich community. It is the only officially bilingual city in Canada, as well as one of the best places in Canada to do business. Moncton is also known as the economic, sports, tourism and entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada. City of Moncton employees strive to maintain its reputation as one of the best places in Canada to live, study, work and play.
The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for the position of Utility 6 - Arborist (Casual) with the Parks & Leisure Service Department.
The Utility 6 - Arborist will carry out comprehensive arboricultural duties throughout the City of Moncton's urban tree population. Daily climbing of all types of trees under all types of conditions is the primary job function.
The successful candidate must have the following minimum qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalency.
- Successful completion of, and ability to maintain, ISA Certified Arborist designation, Chainsaw Safety Training, Standard First Aid and CPR, Arboricultural Electrical Safety Training, Construction Signing & Traffic Control, Bucket Evacuation Safety Training.
- A minimum of five (5) years continuous applicable climbing experience in an urban forest environment.
- Knowledge of, and proven experience with, materials and methods required for rigging and removal of mature trees in an urban setting including but not limited to the use of ropes, cranes, slings, friction brakes, and other arboricultural equipment.
- Ability to work safely and efficiently in and around obstacles such as houses, energized conductors, communication lines, pedestrian traffic and other forms of urban infrastructure.
- Physical fitness level, and ability to maintain such, to be able to carry out all aspects of this position.
- Ability to perform aerial rescue operations from a tree climbing and aerial lift scenario.
- Ability to prepare daily work reports and I.S.A. hazardous tree evaluation forms.
- Knowledge of, and compliance with, the New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Good working knowledge of Integrated Pest Management and its principles as they apply to urban forestry.
- The ability to communicate (reading, writing and speaking) in English is essential. The ability to communicate in the French language would be an asset, but not a requirement.
- Valid New Brunswick Class 3E driver's license.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Good pruning skills as per current ANSI 300 Pruning Standards Best Management Practices for Tree Pruning.
The following qualifications will be considered an asset:
- Post-secondary education from a recognized institution in a relevant college or university degree program.
- ISA Climber Specialist, ISA Municipal Specialist and ISA Aerial Lift Specialist certification.
Other responsibilities include:
- Basic operation and maintenance of arboricultural equipment including but not limited to bucket trucks, chippers, stumpers, saws and tree spades.
MISSION: Working together to grow our economy and enhance the quality of life for all citizens.
VISION: A city that inspires.
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOURS: Accountability, professionalism, respect, and excellence.
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at: www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application in Human Resources at City Hall. To obtain more information, please contact Human Resources at (506) 877-7707.
CLOSING DATE: NOON - APRIL 29, 2019
(The City of Moncton thanks all applicants for their interest;
however, only those scheduled for interviews will be contacted)