FCNB is a leader in integrated financial and consumer services regulation. FCNB's mandate is to protect consumers and enhance public confidence in the financial and consumer marketplace through the provision of regulatory and educational services. With offices in both Fredericton and Saint John, it is responsible for the administration and enforcement of provincial legislation regulating mortgage brokers, payday lenders, real estate, securities, insurance, pensions, credit unions, trust and loan companies, co-operatives, and a wide range of consumer legislation. FCNB is an independent Crown corporation funded by the regulatory fees and assessments paid by its regulated sectors.
We offer opportunities for dedicated professionals to play a vital role in carrying out our mandate.
We are seeking an experienced professional who will act as a Special Advisor and be responsible for assisting the Vice President, Regulatory Operations and a number of the Directors who fall within Regulatory Operations, in the performance of the technical aspects of duties and activities within the mandate of the regulatory divisions of the Financial and Consumer Services Commission (Pensions, Insurance, Financial Institutions, Consumer Affairs and Unclaimed Property).
Key job functions/major responsibilities:
Research and Backup:
- You will interact with various regulators across Canada including the federal regulator, on matters affecting the various industries we regulate,
- Assist the VP in her role as Superintendent, to prepare for biannual meetings of the national insurance and pension regulator groups,
- On occasion you maybe asked to represent the Commission at provincial, regional or national meetings and working committees of various regulators.
Legislative and Regulatory Proposals:
- Provide input on memoranda to the Commission concerning legislative and regulatory proposals,
- Keep current on judicial decisions affecting the industries and Regulator's duties,
- Recommend applicable legislative amendments in order to comply with judicial decisions.
Acts and Industry knowledge:
- Advise the VP and/or Directors on the interpretation and application of our Acts and help to identify areas in need of reform,
- Answer questions from the industry and consumers on the regulation of the industries we oversee.
Implementation of Legislative and Regulatory Changes:
- Assist the VP and Directors in the implementation of legislative and regulatory changes,
- Coordinate the development of legislative or regulatory changes.
Development of Division Policies and Procedures
- Make recommendations for development of policies and procedures after conferring with the Directors of the various regulatory divisions.
Drafting of documents:
- Draft briefing notes to be used by the Minister of Finance on issues pertaining to our regulated industries.
Overhaul of Insurance Act:
- Participate in the finalization of the multi-year project of a new modernized Insurance Act that includes assisting with stakeholder consultations, conducting policy analysis, drafting policy documents for presentation to the Commission and to government and assisting the VP to bring our recommendations through the legislative process of government.
This position will be located in the Fredericton office and reports directly to the Vice President (VP), Regulatory Operations.
The successful incumbent will have expertise in at least one of our regulated industries and its practices and workings of government as well as superior research, analytical, writing and communications skills.
Other qualifications include:
- University degree in law, actuarial studies, public policy, economics, etc.
- A minimum of seven years' experience in the private or public sector in a role having the same level of responsibility. At least four of these years must be within one or more of the following industries: pensions, insurance, mortgage brokers, payday lenders, real estate, credit unions, trust and loan companies, co-operatives,
- Independent decision making,
- Ability to provide in-depth analysis of issues,
- Good management skills,
- Ability to interact effectively with senior government officials and senior industry officers,
- Experience with dispute resolution and negotiation,
- Skilled at dealing with the public,
- Bilingualism is an asset.
Work With Us
The Financial and Consumer Services Commission offers a competitive salary and benefit package as well as excellent opportunities for personal growth and challenge. If you are interested in being a key part of this team, please forward your résumé and covering letter.
For more information about this position please visit our website at www.fcnb.ca or call the Human Resources Officer at (506) 643-7858.