Licensed Practical Nurse I / Orthopedic Technologist
Permanent Full-Time - Ambulatory Services, James Paton Memorial Regional Health Centre, Gander
Definition of work:
This position works as part of the Ambulatory Care team providing paramedical skills in support of orthopedic services to patients in the Ambulatory Care program. Duties include providing immobility to broken bones or soft tissue injuries; applying complete walking devices; assisting the Surgeon in the OR for cast application; constructing and applying simple orthoses and prostheses for orthopedic conditions; performing special types of orthopedic bandaging and dressing; assisting patients in orthopedic clinic; as well as, performing other related duties as necessary to ensure provision of optimal services within the orthopedic clinic. Work involves providing nursing care and treatment services within an LPN scope of practice for the physically ill, disabled and/or cognitively impaired patients within the Ambulatory Care area. The successful candidate must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for promoting and supporting person-and family-centered care, demonstrate a commitment to safety and partner with all team members to improve worker and patient safety by integrating safety into work practices, identifying risks and implementing improvements.
By applying for this job, you acknowledge an understanding that regular requirements and demands of this job include (but are not limited to):
* Constant need for strength and/or endurance; having to lift over 50 lbs.
* Required to position limb over the shoulder in preparation for orthopedic care and leave it there for extended periods of time, causing strain on the body while maintaining physical balance.
* Fine finger or precision work is required to use equipment and using hand tools that require accurate control and steadiness.
* Visual concentration is required for the examination of x-rays and when using equipment.
* Higher than normal levels of attentiveness or alertness, hand/eye coordination, and other sensory demands are required for the application and removal of casts and fine sutures.
* Lack of control over work pace.
* Exact results and precision are required when positioning patients for orthopedic care.
* Constantly stands/walks. May work in awkward or cramped positions to assist with care. Work repetitively involves reaching/stretching, bending/twisting and repeated bouts of low-level postures such as squatting, crouching or stooping.
* Potential for exposure to blood, bodily fluids and/or other contagion. May be exposed to patients/residents with potential risk for aggressive behavior.
* Work Environments present potential for exposure to scented/chemical products and/or other allergens within publicly accessible areas.
* Graduation from high school with a diploma that is recognized by the Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
* Graduation from a Practical Nurse program approved by Central Health.
* Current BLS certification.
* Currently registered with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador.
* Successful completion of an Orthopedic Technologist training program recognized by the Canadian Society of Orthopedic Technologists (CSOT).
* Must maintain certification through the continuing education program as established by the CSOT.
* Demonstrated effective interpersonal and communication skills.
* Consistent demonstration of Central Health's corporate values; Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Stewardship and Quality.
* A satisfactory record of work performance and attendance is required for this position (if indicated on requisition).
* A satisfactory certificate of conduct from the RCMP or local police authority.
* Experience in ambulatory nursing.
Hours of work: 75 hours bi-weekly (Shift work may be required)
Salary: CG-29 ($26.54-$29.48)
Competition number: P-2022000751-JPM
Competition closing date: Open Until Filled
Central Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all candidates however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.