Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Athletics Coordinator assists with the administration of St. Thomas University's athletics program to assure the provision of a comprehensive program to all students in compliance with the University's rules and standards and those of the various sports governing bodies. The Athletics Coordinator oversees the major functions of the J. B. O'Keefe fitness facility, provides assistance to varsity athletic programs, and performs other related duties, as required.
Hours of work: Full-Time (35 hrs/wk); Monday to Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Classification/Level: Unionized, Band 4
Closing Date: Wednesday, June 7, 2023
- Develops and monitors policies and procedures to ensure the effective operation of the J. B. O'Keefe Centre, including finances, industry standards for risk management, equipment maintenance and repairs, ordering medical supplies (in collaboration with trainer), staffing, fitness memberships, athlete clothing, clothing sales (team and retail), varsity laundry services, and programming; provides some coverage of the front desk of the J.B. O'Keefe Centre as required and requested by the Director of Athletics.
- Assists the Director of Athletics, as required, to ensure and monitor all team eligibility and CCES requirements. Also assists the Director of Athletics to ensure that all forms, eligibility, and athletic financial awards (AFAs) are correctly completed and returned to governing bodies before deadlines.
- Manages and administers all team information forms and rosters (hard copy and online) and administers travel arrangements for teams.
- Assists with the management of sports information requirements with respect to but not limited to: STU and Conference websites, nomination forms, championship bulletins, schedules, media, and STU sports information interns.
- Oversees and manages the delivery of varsity events at the LB Gym as scheduled and planned by the Marketing and Event Coordinator. Assists with the production of game day programs as required.
- Manages the Athletics' finances related to varsity programs and team equipment, including but not limited to making deposits and disbursing travel allowances, receiving and dispersing cash to teams for travel, and processing of receivables from any camps, clinics, programs, and donations. Prepares requisitions for bill payments, prepares invoices where required and distributes to appropriate parties, reviews expense reports and receipts, and assists the Director in the preparation of the department budget for applicable areas of responsibility.
- Manages or assists, as directed by the Director of Athletics, in special projects and special events, such as the Wall of Fame, hosting of annual athletics banquet, varsity alumni events, departmental golf tournament, community outreach, fundraising events/initiatives and the hosting of championships.
- Manages and collaborates with coaches on inventory and storage of uniforms.
- Establishes and operates intramural and recreational activities for students and staff. Assists in the development of club sports where appropriate.
- Represents the University as required and requested by the Director of Athletics to outside organizations.
- Assists in the communication of requested student athlete absenteeism, relative to varsity scheduling, to appropriate faculty members.
- Coordinates various departmental meetings for staff, coaches and athletes and takes minutes when required.
- Athletics' liaison with STU Wellness committee.
- Handles the finance-related responsibilities of the Marketing and Events Coordinator as required and as determined by the Director.
- Other duties as required.
- A bachelor's degree; preferably in sport administration with fitness facility, or a related background.
- Experience in the delivery of athletics and recreational programming preferably in a university setting.
- Experience in risk management in a fitness facility and athletics environment.
- Understanding of basic accounting principles (including the importance of ensuring accurate and timely recording of Athletics' revenues and expenditures) and strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge of various governing bodies would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the University's programs, regulations, and services.
- Strong written and oral communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- First Aid, AED, CPR, Safe Sport, Making Headway, Making Ethical Decisions and Criminal Records Check are required.
- Position will require weeknight and weekend work particularly during the academic year due to the nature of University Athletics. This can be disruptive to personal and family life.
- A varied workweek will be required during the competitive season or due to other special events.
- Regular requirement to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Some travel may be required.