Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days, with a requirement to work evenings, and weekends when necessary
On Call: No
Location: The position is remote but does require on-site attendance periodically in sites across Ontario and is able to commute to the data center in Toronto when required.
The Systems Administrator, IT is responsible for planning and completing complex assignments requiring installation, maintenance, and enhancement of designated hardware, operating systems software, and systems programming. In addition, the IT Systems Administrator performs capacity analysis, exchange maintenance and management, security administration, and management of data storage.
- Works collaboratively with the Manager, Information Technology to plan and implement technical solutions which enhance the reliability, scalability, and performance of VON's hardware infrastructure.
- Supports Microsoft Exchange Server, Active Directory, and Windows 2012/2016/2019 Server in a clustered environment.
- Part of the final step in the escalation framework within the IT support team, possessing the most technical knowledge, regarding all aspects of the hardware, network, and system infrastructure
- Performs research with vendors and external technical resources for analysis and resolution of complex technical support problems.
- Provides routine reporting and recommendations to management for the performance of hardware systems, capacity constraints, system growth requirements, and progress on project implementations.
- Performs advanced system administration activities including, backups, application of security policies, enterprise software upgrades, and major infrastructure changes.
- Performs analysis and testing of new technologies, operating systems, and hardware platforms, prior to adoption and implementation within the infrastructure and network
- Creates and uses software tools to automate deployment of software and security updates across the VON network
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Post-secondary degrees in computer science or systems and network administration
- Minimum of 7 years' direct experience in a complex network system environment supporting greater than 5000 end users
- MCP and CCNA Certifications
- Minimum of 5 years' administration of virtualized environments, including MS Hyper-V, VMware V-Sphere, Citrix or Cisco UCS.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working with computer security (e.g. firewalls and intrusion detection systems).
- Minimum of 2 years experience with hardware infrastructure design and implementation methodologies as well as with MDM platform administration (AirWatch, or other industry leading systems), and mobile technologies (Android, iOS)
- Minimum of 2 years experience with power shell scripting, to optimize delivery of client system updates and security enhancements
- Advanced knowledge and experience with SAN, NAS storage including iSCSI and Fiber SAN • Advanced knowledge and experience with networking protocols, security administration, and VPN client/host firewall configurations.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server administration, patch management, and optimization.
- Expert knowledge of file systems, sharing and security practices.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Active Directory and group policy administration
- Expert understanding of computer hardware & networking including servers, routers, switches, firewalls, and thin client technologies.
- Strong understanding of database design, architecture, and file management techniques
- Ability to communicate with end users with a high level of customer service skills.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, time management, organization, decision-making, and influencing skills.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and verbal/written communication skills.
- Well-developed team skills with a collaborative work style.
- Ability to problem solve and adjust to rapidly changing priorities in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as within a team environment
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- The ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
About us: VON is a non-profit organization that provides clinical, personal, and social support to people who want to live every day to the fullest while remaining in their own homes and communities
What we can offer you:
- Competitive salaries and vacation time
- Tiered Benefits (health, dental, LTD) & an Employee Assistance Program
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan with company contribution
- Opportunity to use your skills and expand your knowledge
- The opportunity to make a difference in your community
- Work with an organization that is 125 years strong
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details