Employment Status: Regular Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Medical Secretary
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings
On Call: No
The Medical Secretary supports the Nurse Practitioner (NP) and multidisciplinary staff by providing administrative support to facilitate excellent client care and efficient daily operations. The Medical Secretary creates a welcoming environment to patients & families in the clinics.
- Screens incoming telephone calls, recording and transmitting messages, scheduling, receiving, and announcing scheduled patients and visitors and screening unscheduled patients and visitors.
- Arranges referrals to other health care providers. Schedules appointments for consultations, x-rays, lab tests, physical therapy, MRI's, CT scans, etc.
- Supports Nurse Practitioner by maintaining calendars, scheduling patient appointments, physician consultations, professional meetings, conferences and teleconferences.
- Prepares medical reports and summaries, patient histories, operative notes, manuscripts and correspondence
- Organizes, coordinates and controls projects related to accreditation and training.
- Ensures appropriate filing protocols including continuous improvement.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations through accuracy and a high level of confidentiality
- Maintains office supplies inventory by checking stock, anticipating needs, placing and expediting orders and verifying receipt.
- Ensures proper operation and maintenance of office equipment troubleshooting breakdowns, performing preventive maintenance and calling for repairs.
- Provides appropriate screening tools to co-morbid conditions under the direction of the NP for patients to complete.
- Administers patient satisfaction surveys and submits results electronically.
- Maintains & reports stats as required by the funder (e.g. MOHLTC, LHIN, etc).
- Completes data entry into the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system including entering new patient information, updating patient records, screening and sorting faxes, mail and scanning/managing documents in the EMR.
- Documents all necessary conversations in the patient chart on EMR.
- Monitors vaccine fridge and maintains supply including picking up vaccines as per Public Policy (e.g. maintaining cold chain).
- Contacts patients/family & specialists office as directed by the NP.
- Serves and protects the health care community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, provincial, and local requirements, and internal VON policies & procedures.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Interacts frequently with District leadership teams, Nurse Practitioners and other multidisciplinary team members.
- Engages with outside vendors and service providers to acquire and maintain equipment.
- Interacts with the Department of Health, Health Authorities or Continuing Care Agencies.
- Engages with clients and families, specialty physician's staff and other physicians.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Medical Office Administration or related studies required.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in health care office environment.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) required.
- Understanding the Nurse Practitioner role in Primary Health Care is an asset.
- Proven to be reliable and punctual.
- Exemplary customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and impartiality.
- Capacity to adapt quickly to a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and within a team setting (e.g. ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team).
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in an active work environment.
- Exercise good judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to welcome change and manage it innovatively.
- Access to a personal vehicle for business use and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check required
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Willingness to travel occasionally during the day (e.g. picking up vaccines or other supplies, accompanying NP on home visits if required).
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.