Faculty - Cosmetology
Annapolis Valley Campus
Middleton, Nova Scotia
School of Health & Human Services
Term Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately July 31, 2023 and ending approximately June 14, 2024
Application deadline is 11:59PM, May 30, 2023
Competition No. 2023-157
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $65,422.78 - $96,815.67. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching post-secondary). The maximum a new NSCC Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or 88,654.70.
As a member of the School of Health & Human Services faculty team, you will provide theoretical and practical instruction in the Cosmetology program. You will collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g. Brightspace) and classroom technology. Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures. You will also ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops and labs. As a Faculty of NSCC, you will be expected to maintain currency with the latest industry practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st century teaching and learning practices. This position may involve teaching within any of our lines of business (e.g. certificate/diploma programs, continuing education, customized learning, apprenticeship), across different delivery modalities (e.g. in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings.
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of your students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centred perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a Master Cosmetologist (Hairdressing) Instructor License. You are also an active and current member of the Cosmetology Association.
- Any specialty training in the Cosmetology field will be considered an asset.
- Experience related to Entrepreneurship and Social Media use in cosmetology would be considered an asset.
- You have a minimum of five years (full time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience in the cosmetology field with extensive experience in all aspects of salon operations.
- Occupational experience that includes experience in a supervisory capacity; evaluating, monitoring, assessing and advising will be considered an asset.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, and SAM Software - Salon Account Management Systems.
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience.
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in your field.
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults.
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices.
- You are comfortable using multi-media technologies and a variety of platforms that will serve to engage students in online and blended learning capacities. The ability to teach effectively in an online/blended environment which includes building knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of courses delivered whole or in part online, using a course management system to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students will be an important factor in your success. Candidates who do not have previous online/blended teaching experience must be open to and willing to participate in training for this delivery model.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent presentation skills and can facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and can manage interpersonal relationships and issues effectively
- Your superb team building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and to community involvement make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
As a condition of employment, Faculty at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact David Meister, HR Generalist at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.