At Events East Group, we proudly manage and operate the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic. Our facilities and the events we attract are platforms for prosperity. Whether we're attracting large delegations or hosting an elite group of athletes for an international competition, we are a catalyst for new opportunities and connections between Nova Scotia and the world.
Events East Group is now inviting applications for the position of Corporate Accounting Lead with our Finance team.
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting, the Corporate Accounting Lead is accountable for ensuring all transactions related to month end, for both Events East and Scotiabank Centre, are posted accurately, are complete, and are done on schedule. The Lead is the first point of contact for staff regarding accounting-related questions.
The Corporate Accounting Lead performs finance and analytical tasks in support of month end including voucher review and approval, payrolls accruals, financial statement interface and generally supports the Manager, Accounting and Director of Finance in meeting deadlines.
The Corporate Accounting Lead will assist team members in using Ungerboeck (Accounting system) and investigating issues.
- Accountable for ensuring accounting staff complete month-end processes and transactions, while adhering to the month-end schedule and reporting timelines
- Supporting/coaching the finance team, including enforcing company policies and procedures
- Responsible for being first point of contact for accounting-related questions
- Plays a lead role in training new staff and helping to ensure staff are cross trained for backup coverage. Ensures all processes are documented
- Assisting the Manager, Accounting with financial statement analysis and month-end financial statement preparation
- Analyzes transactional data for accuracy in reporting, validity of inputs and appropriate application of controls
- Oversees and conducts quarterly inventory count and valuation
- Main touch point for the banking organizations/merchants for relationship management, contract coordination and responding to any outstanding queries and issues
- Responsible for reviewing and posting Accounts Payable vouchers to ensure data is entered in the system correctly, verifying appropriate GL accounts are used, purchasing processes are followed and approvals align with the signature authority matrix for Events East Group and Scotiabank Centre
- Preparing reconciliations for key financial statement balances
- Reviewing and approving recurring journal entries
- Supports Finance Project Lead and Manager, Accounting in patch, upgrade, and integration testing for any new or suggested changes due to streamlining account processes
- Provides backup to the Manager, Accounting in their absence
- Plays a role in staff support for Ungerboeck system
- Additional tasks as assigned by the Manager, Accounting
Education & Experience
- Accounting Diploma, certificate, or equivalent
- 5+ years finance/business experience in a similar deadline driven role
Job Specific / Technical Knowledge
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook) of products with well-developed Excel skills
- Aptitude for understanding new technologies and applying technology to business processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact professionally with diverse groups of managers and subject matter experts
- Experience in using a variety of accounting software modules, including advanced features
Events East is committed to a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons from the LGBTQ+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Any applicant invited to participate in testing or an interview and who requires an accommodation should discuss their needs, in confidence, with the Recruiter when selected
TO APPLY: Online via Career Beacon.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
For further information, please visit our website at www.eventseast.com