Working within a diverse team consisting of subject matter experts, project management, and quality control, this position will collaborate to achieve high quality outputs and provide input for continuous improvement. This team will report directly to the Technical Publications & Proposals Manager.
Currently, two positions are available for this role. One will be full-time permanent, and the other will be a 1-year Maternity Leave position. Please indicate your preference for consideration (full-time or contract) in your application cover letter.
What you will be doing:
- Authoring Technical data in an electronic media.
- Research engineering drawings, technical specifications, equipment catalogues and other source data, as required, for the purpose of preparing, in a computerized environment, new publication, changes and revisions.
- Define requirements with the Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
- Co-ordinate the preparation and the validation of texts, as well as other technical information. documents related to customer requirements.
- Perform validation/verification on site if required.
- Collaborate with the technical publications team, Tech Pubs Lead, Illustrator, Multimedia Designer and Editor to enable the completeness of the work task and the necessary create and update to the Technical Publication(s).
- Provide guidance to junior writers on standards and requirements.
- Assist other technical writers in preparing their work packages for draft manuscript presentations.
- Other duties as assigned by The Company.
What do you need to succeed?
- Engineering Degree or Trade Certification in a Mechanical, Electrical or Instrumentation discipline or equivalent.
- Between 2 - 5 years of recent experience developing technical documentation.
- Experience preferably in a technical environment related to military publications activity would be considered an asset. Some knowledge of common Aircraft, Naval or Land mechanical, electrical or electronic systems is considered an asset.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to analyze and understand technical specifications and user interfaces in order to produce clear documentation.
- Ability to convey complex information in concise, user-friendly instructions.
- Ability to work with subject-matter experts to gather key information.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and time-management skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Proficient Computer skills; including MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (ITEMs) an asset.
- Bilingualism would be an asset.
- Experience with Structured Authoring and XML-based Authoring Tools, such as Madcap Flare, would be an asset.
- Must be able to obtain a Government of Canada Security Clearance.
Work With Us
What's in it for you?
We strive to be our best, progressive thinkers, to keep us growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, and benefits as well as exceptional career growth potential.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and training.
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Flexible work/life balance options.
- Opportunities to do challenging work.
At BTSI, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. This is an excellent opportunity for ambitious, career-oriented individuals who wish to be part of a large, dynamic and highly successful organization. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.