Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Are you a new graduate, retired nurse, or nurse looking to enter back into the nursing field? You may qualify for the Community Commitment Program for Nurses (CCPN) through Health Force Ontario. This program provides a $25,000 incentive to eligible nurses in exchange for a 24-month commitment to an eligible employer. To view eligibility requirements, click here: www.healthforceontario.ca/ccpn
Join the VON team and make a difference in the lives of our clients in your community by delivering exceptional care. VON nurses collaborate with community health teams to provide client-centered health care in homes, community settings, and clinics. Come work with us - it's a job that matters!
Our Visiting Nurses provide client care in the client's own home. They provide physical assessments, symptom control support, palliative care, rehabilitation therapy, wound care, education, counselling to individuals and families and much more.
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Visiting Nursing
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: OFHCW
On Call: Yes
Join us in community nursing you'll get to:
- Work to the full scope of practice
- Make an impact in your community by supporting clients in their home
- Use independent judgment to make decisions about your client's care
- Support children to continue their education in school
- Work with amazing co-workers and leaders who care about your well-being and safety
- Have a workplace culture of comfort, connection, and belonging
- Embrace flexibility to promote work-life balance
- Access VON supports through learning opportunities, Employee Access Program access, wellness benefits, and workplace respect...VON cares!
What we can offer you:
- Comprehensive orientation program
- Opportunity to use your skills and expand your knowledge
- Competitive salaries and vacation time
- Tiered Benefits (health, dental, LTD) and an Employee Assistance Program
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan with company contribution
- Travel compensation
- Smartphone provided to keep you connected during work time
- The opportunity to make a difference in your community
- Work with an organization that is 125 years strong
What we need from you:
- Must be Licensed as a Registered Practical Nurse in the province of practice
- A valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle are required
- Preference will be given to nurses who have palliative care experience and/or palliative care course
- Experience working with pediatric and/or palliative clients
- Preference given to nurses with Infusion and Central Line experience
- Two to five years Community experience preferred
- Foot Care experience preferred
- Knowledge of community resources an asset
- Excellent assessment, teaching, problem solving and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to adapt nursing practice to operating independently in a variety of situations
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required and a Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be required
Come for the job, stay for the learning, and the chance to make a difference.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.